Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Ideas

Geila

Turkey Ideas

We've been gifted a 15 lb. turkey and I'm trying to think how to cook for the best tasting meat. Dh and I are not turkey fans and it's just us two, so that's going to be a lot of meat. I also want it to be simple and easy to cook, so even though cutting up the turkey and freezing/cooking the parts separately would yield the best tasting meat, I honestly don't want the hassle. So I'm thinking of braising rather than roasting. First, because I don't own a roasting pan and second because it would be the simplest thing.

I've got a very large stock pot that will accommodate the whole bird. I'm thinking of just plopping the whole thing in there, breast side down and cooking it with the lid closed. Has anyone ever tried anything like it? My main issue with turkey is how dry it gets and the lack of taste, I'm thinking a braise-type cooking might help. Alternatively, I could borrow a roasting pan and do the standard roasting.

I would be freezing the cooked meat in containers and using it for things like tacos, fajitas, salads, etc... Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Disclaimer: I am not a cook, nor do I claim to be one, nor do I play one on TV... but what I've learned through 68 Thanksgivings and through osmosis from DH The Chef, so here's what think.

If turkey is already considered tasteless, braising isn't going to necessarily help, unless you are making a real soup with a well-seasoned broth. Truth is, fat=flavor, so unless you baste often and let the buttered skin fat drippings drip through the roasting turkey, it probably will be rather tasteless. Also, I have had lots of moist turkeys, but only the ones that were monitored closely for doneness. This is also where a delicious gravy makes all the difference in a turkey dinner. Another tip my MIL used to abide by was that stuffing the bird actually dries it out more. Not sure if that's really true.

But I'd love hear other suggestions for braising as I am far from an expert. I did look up braising on the internet, and even the so-called "braised" turkeys are roasted for a while. I have a deep-fried turkey, but IMHO, talk about bother! What do you do with all that fat at the end??

Anyway, these are my VERY humble opinions. FWIW.

If you need a roasting pan, just get an aluminum one. If you are adamant about keeping the juices from the bird, you can put in a grate of your own, but I don't bother.

ETA: Saw this braising recipe that looks like it sears in the flavor: https://www.cookforyourlife.org/recipes/braised-turkey/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Buy a foil pan and roast your turkey but add spicing as one does with most meats. I like glazing with chicken broth and then use that for making gravy after skimming off the extra fat. But then I really like turkey. I always make the stuffing on the side as it gets too soggy stuffed in the bird.
    Some great ideas here:
    https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/foo...ason-a-turkey/
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I’ve seen multiple people roast the bird inside a brown paper grocery bag. Slather the bird inside and out with butter. I think you butter the bag, too, but I can’t remember. It’s been a few years. I’d suggest googling it.

You could make turkey mole: https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/c...e-with-turkey/

I always wanted to make turkey and cranberry tamales, but it didn't happen.

I like plain old turkey soup as much as anything else--I usually make it with a turkey breast and a leg, and I add lots of chili seeds and garlic.

Yppej
    I'm trying to remember if you have dogs. Maybe if you are not turkey fans they would like it?

I roast it upside down with a stick of butter. I put the stuffing in it and it’s moist but not soggy.

Geila
    I saw this Ina Garten recipe yesterday and it looks tasty. I have fruit on my lemon trees right now, win/win. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ecipe4-1943576

I'm thinking that I'll treat the turkey like I do my pork roast: brown it on the stovetop and then pop it in the oven, covered, for a few hours. Uncover for the last 30 mins to brown it. I don't use any liquids or veggies to concentrate the meaty flavor, but with the turkey I'll put in some fat. We don't do dairy so I'll use something else, probably some of the pork roast fat that I've saved in the fridge. And I do have some chicken broth I can put in if needed. Worst case it comes out dry and I'll turn it into soup or stew. Once I overcooked a lasagna and it came out too dry so I dumped the whole thing in a big pot and made soup out of it. It was pretty darn good.

If you have a smoker, smoke it! It tastes better than bland roasted turkey.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    If you have a smoker, smoke it! It tastes better than bland roasted turkey.
    YES!! You can even do a good job of that with a kettle (e.g., Weber) grill.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information