Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: temptation to buy stuff lately

temptation to buy stuff lately

I don't know if it's boredom or the frustration of not being able to get out much or garden, but lately I find myself wanting to buy stuff. A new jacket (mine is ten years old but still functions), something for the house/kitchen, shoes, fabric for sewing projects. In the olden days before Covid, I would get my fix by going to the thrift store every few weeks to buy something to repurpose for the house or myself. Never more than a few dollars but it took care of that little itch even if I didn't buy anything. I can certainly live without these things and I have enough sewing projects to keep me occupied for a while but...I just found some fabric on deep discount that I love.

Yppej
    I am feeling like I need to go buy things because soon the governor may shut down most of the stores again. I am trying to resist this impulse.

I have been on a shopping spree. Some clothes because of weight loss. I also bought a new cabinet and some pictures for my dining room. My patio table was 15 years old and wobbly so got a new one on sale. My husband likes tall acrylic glasses for drinks and ours are cracking so bought those. All but the clothes were bought online. I rarely shop so this is rare. Spent the money I recently earned consulting).

Interesting OP. While I have bought some items like a watch, it was after a long time thinking about it - new watch, new underwear, new shoes. Basically I needed them.
    Retail therapy has never appealed to me. In fact, I was mentioning to DD2 this evening that I am avoiding, as usual, anything that will become landfill debris too soon. While some neighbours are madly decorating the outside of their homes first for Hallowe'en and now Christmas with lawn ornaments type stuff from Walmart and the Dollarama, I am simplifying to basics that I have had for years with one urn arrangement of fresh greens.

But you have given an explanation for the excessive amount of new decorations appearing now in my neighbourhood - lots of lights, inflatables, wire ornaments with lights built in, wooden structures, etc.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Interesting OP. While I have bought some items like a watch, it was after a long time thinking about it - new watch, new underwear, new shoes. Basically I needed them.
    Retail therapy has never appealed to me. In fact, I was mentioning to DD2 this evening that I am avoiding, as usual, anything that will become landfill debris too soon. While some neighbours are madly decorating the outside of their homes first for Hallowe'en and now Christmas with lawn ornaments type stuff from Walmart and the Dollarama, I am simplifying to basics that I have had for years with one urn arrangement of fresh greens.

But you have given an explanation for the excessive amount of new decorations appearing now in my neighbourhood - lots of lights, inflatables, wire ornaments with lights built in, wooden structures, etc.
    I noticed that people are decorating for Christmas early, too. I put it down to how tired everyone is of Covid and how they want something jolly to remind them of happier times. I read a really interesting story yesterday about the new Rockefeller Center Christmas tree and how it looks like a Charlie Brown tree, but then they found a baby owl in the tree, a Christmas miracle. I learned that the first Rockefeller Center tree was put up by the construction workers in the depression--they pooled their money to buy a tree to cheer themselves up.

I have been buying clothes--a new winter coat, flannel nightgowns, and shoes. And trying to find a new planner that works for me.

I've done a little more of what might be called comfort spending, but I don't think any of it has been frivolous or extreme. It's all been online and I've avoided some home repairs and upgrades that would require workmen in the house. I've not filled with gas since sometime in the summer and along with other activity changes am probably spending less than the pre-covid days.

I've been browsing but not purchasing. I'm trying to find something small, functional and affordable to by 25 of for Christmas presents to extended family. So, I'm looking, but not buying... yet.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

No, mostly buy less besides a few things I allow myself. I mean who buys all that many new clothes when you aren't trying them on etc.? And like I said buying was part of the hectic (not the main part but things like commuting are largely out of my hands). I just have fall decorations and they were none new when acquired and not acquired this year.

But I would understand just about any psychological adaptation to these times. It takes a toll. I could say I've never been into retail therapy but, there was that time at a deadend job, looking for other work and not finding it, got too stressed about job hunting, bought a record number of towels and bedding. Yea, I could say I'm not into retail therapy, but how it goes is the stress and trauma gets so high, that they overwhelm the organism and it looks for ANY way out.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I'm trying to find something small, functional and affordable to by 25 of for Christmas presents to extended family.
    I order pleasure foods for people on my Christmas list. "Affordability" could be an issue, because I like to select things that the recipient would not consider affordable, like a pound of 12 year old cheddar cheese (Alp and Dell Cheese, out of Monroe WI), or applewood smoked bratwurst (Nueske's, out of Wittenburg WI),

I order pleasure foods for people on my Christmas list. "Affordability" could be an issue, because I like to select things that the recipient would not consider affordable, like a pound of 12 year old cheddar cheese (Alp and Dell Cheese, out of Monroe WI), or applewood smoked bratwurst (Nueske's, out of Wittenburg W
    I even like the old school stuff like Hickory Farms cheese and sausage, yum yum yum. Whole Foods carries a 10 year old cheese called Hook cheddar, it is almost worth the ensuing bankruptcy.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information