Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: temptation to buy stuff lately

Between:

1. No going to work anymore
    2. Comfort for 12 hours of sleeping daily
    3. Tight clothing causing discomfort

I have become even more minimalist in my clothing choices.

Bright side: I ordered 2 pants from target exactly like the 2 pair I’ve been wearing since July.

No need to enter the store.

I have a few shirts that are my favorites also. I may order a few more identical ones online.

I may reach nirvana. Wearing totally comfortable and identical clothing every day. That was the one thing I liked about communist China back in the day - as well as Star Trek Enterprise - everyone dressed alike in simple clothing. Enterprise had Cotten blend jumpsuits. The rest of Star Trek, as much as I love the franchise, had horrible tight polyester uniforms.

I've kind of got it down to a uniform, too--ankle-length tee shirt dress with a long sleeved waffle tee over that, topped with a zip-front fleece. In several colors. Also stretchy pants, for a change of pace. I have lots of jackets from my thrifting days. I miss thrifting...

Old videos of China depressed me horribly, for the reason you mention. I love variety, in all its messiness. I would wither in a sea of navy pajamas.

Since I work from home now, I wear capri length workout leggings. I had one pair a year or so old from Target. They don't carry that brand anymore, but I found them on Amazon and ordered two pairs. $25 each. When it's colder, I'll wear a great pair of fleece pants I got from REI online. Wool socks. Long sleeve t-shirt and a thin fleece over top.

I could do with a few more t-shirts. Talbots has a great sale going on, so I should probably order them.

Yppej
    My new jobsite is cold. The thermostat is set at 69 but it's drafty with customers coming in and out of the doors all day. I can wear jeans but have had to buy some sweatshirts. If people come to resemble their pets do they also come to resemble the people they work around all day? I know I am dressing like them more. If I start wearing Carhartts like the customers you will know it's true,

It isn’t stuff I want, I keep finding reasons to look at food.

We don’t need it, I stocked up over the summer and we’ve been eating my home-prepped ingredients for over a month now. The freezer is finally looking like there’s some air in there, not like everything is so jammed in willynilly that it will all fall out when you open the door...

the last time I shopped for stuff, I bought another piece of silver plate for Christmas decorating, a pitcher this time. I’ll need to find some pussy willows for it.

Now that I'm topped up on comestibles, I have my eye on an upgraded Instant Pot--a Black Friday deal. The price is right, and there's no doubt I'll use it.

I was too, but then we just had to pack up a bunch of stuff from our main level and move it downstairs recently - had new flooring installed on the main level. then we had to move it all back and unpack it. I've since gotten over bringing more stuff into the house!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I pretty much live by the one in-one out rule so not worried about accumulation. I am still looking at coats but have busied myself with projects to reduce online window shopping.

Everyone received $50 gift certificates at work (in the mail, since we're almost 100% work from home), so I used that as an excuse to buy a few unnecessary but nonetheless desired books. Apart from that, I'm keeping spending pretty much down, with the exception of a "naughty" meal once or twice a week.

Strangely, staying at home has made me realize that I used to "go out" for the sake of "going out," which often led to unplanned buying of things that made my pleasure centers twitch momentarily, but otherwise offered very little additional value. Once in a while I find something on a shelf and I wonder "where, when and why did I buy this?" If I can't remember, it goes in the donation pile. Staying at home and going out only when absolutely required has really whacked down such impulses.

Yppej
    I am starting Christmas shopping, which allows me to buy things without cluttering up my house.

Thread Information