Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Well thought out reminders

My biggest concern is the courts...McConnell's crew made sure few judges were confirmed before 2016, then suddenly many were....I think it is the Federal Judges who helped keep Trump's worst behaviors in check and worry this new batch will not pay attention. I am ashamed of the Senate's acquiescence to the White House and GOP.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You've done a great job of supporting team red in this response.
    I’m a believer in non-binary politics. I don’t think there really is a team red or team blue. I think those are mental constructs fabricated by those with an interest in fanning the flames of rabid partisanship. The sort of people who say “ilk” a lot, and insist that third-party votes are “wasted”.

I think that a lot of people with conservative sensibilities who didn’t consider Trump especially conservative held their noses and voted for him anyway when they considered the alternative. They didn’t do so out of racism or cruelty. They looked at all the burnt out neighborhoods and listened to the “defund the police” rhetoric and made a choice.

Nor do I think there is a monolithic blue team. Look at the debate now between the Democratic Party leadership and the social justice Jacobins over the role hard-left rhetoric played in the disappointing congressional election results. From what I’m reading, the “Squad” is unlikely to approve of Biden’s early cabinet picks.

I think we are a much more complex nation than colored maps can indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’m a believer in non-binary politics. I don’t think there really is a team red or team blue. I think those are mental constructs fabricated by those with an interest in fanning the flames of rabid partisanship. The sort of people who say “ilk” a lot, and insist that third-party votes are “wasted”.

I think that a lot of people with conservative sensibilities who didn’t consider Trump especially conservative held their noses and voted for him anyway when they considered the alternative. They

Nor do I think there is a monolithic blue team. Look at the debate now between the Democratic Party leadership and the social justice Jacobins over the role hard-left rhetoric played in the disappointing congressional election results. From what I’m reading, the “Squad” is unlikely to approve of Biden’s early cabinet picks.

I think we are a much more complex nation than colored maps can indicate.
    Whether you like to think so or not... jp1 pegged you correctly based on previous and recent responses. You see yourself not as others see you.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Whether you like to think so or not... jp1 pegged you correctly based on previous and recent responses. You see yourself not as others see you.
    If you are locked into binary thinking, everything must be a one or a zero. And the only enemies your enemies can possibly have must be friendly to you. Otherwise, they must be friends of your enemy. It has a comforting simplicity to it if I can’t despise both Trump and AOC.

I guess this is part of your belief that "trying to group people in any way due to similar characteristics or viewpoints is futile and wrong. The only legitimate way to view people is in 7 billion different ways." The reality, of course, is that neither you, nor I, nor anyone else can process 7 billion, or even 330 million different views all as discrete individuals. Hence the need to find patterns, which we all do in every aspect of our lives. To not do so would result in life being incomprehensible chaos. Does this result in nuance being lost, or even some people being miscategorized altogether? Absolutely. Does it also help people to understand the world and other people's viewpoints? Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I guess this is part of your belief that "trying to group people in any way due to similar characteristics or viewpoints is futile and wrong. The only legitimate way to view people is in 7 billion different ways." The reality, of course, is that neither you, nor I, nor anyone else can process 7 billion, or even 330 million different views all as discrete individuals. Hence the need to find patterns, which we all do in every aspect of our lives. To not do so would result in life being incomprehensible chaos. Does this result in nuance being lost, or even some people being miscategorized altogether? Absolutely. Does it also help people to understand the world and other people's viewpoints? Absolutely.
    To me, it's more as if some people can't see anything other then primary colors, red, blue and yellow, and can't fathom the millions of shades which exist within them. But on top of that, many are so caught up in their favorite primary color, in your and Frugal One's case blue, all those millions of shades are red and you both think that red is bad.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    To me, it's more as if some people can't see anything other then primary colors, red, blue and yellow, and can't fathom the millions of shades which exist within them. But on top of that, many are so caught up in their favorite primary color, in your and Frugal One's case blue, all those millions of shades are red and you both think that red is bad.
    Not necessarily blue .... I would have voted for Kasich. Unlike you, who will vote for any person, if considered to be a republican.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I would have voted for Kasich.
    I did.....twice.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If you are locked into binary thinking, everything must be a one or a zero. And the only enemies your enemies can possibly have must be friendly to you. Otherwise, they must be friends of your enemy. It has a comforting simplicity to it if I can’t despise both Trump and AOC.
    Interestingly, many times you stick up for trump but then say you despise him??

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I did.....twice.
    Of course, he is a republican. What democrats have you voted for?

Thread Information