Thread: Good Recipe for a Vegetarian Egg Casserole - Like for a Brunch?

Good Recipe for a Vegetarian Egg Casserole - Like for a Brunch?

Hi All,

I'm having a couple of family members over for brunch this weekend (socially distanced, outside in our backyard). I think they're vegetarians. I'd like to make some kind of good egg casserole I could bake ahead of time and serve with a fruit salad. Anybody have any good easy recipes?

Thank you!

Every weekend I take a dozen eggs, whatever fresh or frozen veggies I have on hand (diced peppers - any color, spinach, mushrooms, kale, swiss chard, etc), and some shredded swiss cheese (my personal favorite - lol), mix all together and pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes or until eggs are cooked and knife stuck in center comes out clean. I cook for 25 minutes, as I like the top to *just* start getting a little brown. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but we like it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Every weekend I take a dozen eggs, whatever fresh or frozen veggies I have on hand (diced peppers - any color, spinach, mushrooms, kale, swiss chard, etc), and some shredded swiss cheese (my personal favorite - lol), mix all together and pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes or until eggs are cooked and knife stuck in center comes out clean. I cook for 25 minutes, as I like the top to *just* start getting a little brown. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but we like it.
    Ditto. Add in 6 slices of diced bread putting it in the pan first with all the veg then pour eggs over top. I put in a LOT of cheese....

and of course, we're not vegetarian so a pound of cooked sausage too

It sounds as though a strata with vegetarian ingredients would work. That way you can accommodate preferences. Some people love whole wheat bread, some love mushrooms, some love a risotto base...
    Have a basic strata and splurge on the type of bread on the side and fruit salad ingredients.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Speaking of egg dishes, I watched with interest as the Margaret thatcher character in The Crown (television series) made kedgeree. Do any of you make kedgeree?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Do any of you make kedgeree?
    I've made it a couple of times. I'm the only one in the house who will eat it, however, so it does not often make the menu.

ETA I really don't have a vegetarian egg hot dish (sorry, I'm a Minnesotan; that's what we call those here) that's substantially different from what's already been posted. Only additional suggestion I might make is to put in some soft tofu instead of some eggs in case anyone looks at how many eggs went into the dish and starts counting their cholesterol (n.b., especially for one meal, this dish won't do it and there's plenty of evidence suggesting LDL cholesterol itself is not an indicator of health, but old habits -- uhh -- die hard).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'd go with a chili relleno-inspired recipe.

Thread Information