Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Adjusted for COVID-19

Thanksgiving Adjusted for COVID-19

CDC recommends that Americans stay home and NOT invite family or anybody for Thanksgiving Dinner.

I am starting this thread for comments about our observances of Thanksgiving during the current pandemic.

Our plan is to prepare a Thanksgiving Dinner for 2. We are friends with a couple across town, whose mobility is compromised. So we have arranged to roast a 13-pound turkey and take half of it, plus some trimmings ready-to-eat, over to their house.

Yppej
    I will be celebrating with the other member of my household. I will not be getting together with my elderly parents even though they live nearby.

I might go to outdoor things, because there is no way to stop them, old people and their love for tradition, there is also stuff I might just boycott. But nothing indoors regardless. Noone of course asked me "hey are you ok with a large gathering?". No they just went ahead regardless. And they can't be reasoned with. And if they are extroverts they are even worse, like they are addicted to large gatherings somehow.

I think the guidance IS unrealistic though, I don't advocate large gatherings, but most countries allow some kind of bubbles (Canada, the UK), but the health authorities are always condemning people who live alone, to sit alone, eat some packaged turkey, weep, pop another antidepressant, look at listings of tele-shrinks. I mean really on and on and on about households, for 6 months we weren't supposed to see anyone we didn't live with, as if it was 1950 and EVERYONE lived with a spouse, 2.5 kids and a dog.
    Trees don't grow on money

We were going to go to Hermann, but because it’s raining we may stay in town over Thanksgiving. And then go to Hermann Thursday afternoon or Friday morning for a few days.

Just DH and I making a feast. So sad we can't spend it with our grand-twins but vow to be there next year.

I'm planning on doing duty shifts over the holiday, so the folks with families here can have the time off.

I am *not* having dinner with my girlfriend, though she only lives a couple of islands away. Travelling on the ferry over this week, with all the hordes descending upon both of our islands, seems foolish for many reasons.

We were going to have my sister and her wife come up from San Diego for the weekend so that we could be together and also for them to see our new place. (they have a motorhome so they can do the trip safely) They've been very cautious as we have. But they have decided not to come because the numbers in San Diego are through the roof and they've had a couple of covid close calls (The most recent when their gardener called SIL Friday to ask how to go about getting tested, one day after he'd been at their house doing work.) Gardener tested negative but sister and SIL are still nervous. So we've pushed the visit back to Christmas with a plan of all four of us to specifically have as little contact with anyone for the two weeks leading up to it.

Since it's just going to be us on Thursday we've decided to leave the turkey in the freezer until Christmas and are instead going to have lobster for Thanksgiving.

Lobster. Genius!!!!

We will be preparing and delivering Thanksgiving dinners for nine people -- in three different households. And we won't be eating with any of them. DD/DSiL/grandkids, DSiL's mother (diagnosed positive for COVID-19), and our next-door neighbors who frequently lack the energy after their cancer treatments to make dinner. Then we'll go home and enjoy Thanksgiving dinner in comfort in our PJs.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I’ll be driving up to WI Thanksgiving afternoon in advance of my cavern/intro to cave diving class Friday through Sunday. I may work a bit on Thursday morning. Depends on how caught up
    I get tomorrow. So boss won’t have any of my stuff hanging around on Friday and Monday will be better for me.

Thread Information