Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Adjusted for COVID-19

Just my husband and I. We are in full isolation mode with the virus skyrocketing. Glad that we did a few things this summer when the numbers were low here. Now it’s scary.

We are still going back and forth over having my son and his girlfriend over and eating outside since it is supposed to be dry. If we change our minds we will just have my son come over with containers and I'll pack it up for him to take back to their place.

Skipping dinner at my daughter’s house- with grandson, his wife and toddler who also live there. All 4 adults in that house work in “essential” businesses, so they have tons of potential exposure. I have a good friend close by, who is in process with chemo, and I take her to her medical appts, as well as do her grocery shopping and pharmacy runs. She and I will have Thanksgiving dinner together.

My DH volunteered to work 8 hours tomorrow, so I will be home alone for most of the day, which suits me just fine. My Mom is going to join DSis and her new boyfriend for dinner. They both work and DSis recently got together for lunch in a restaurant with 6 retired nurses she hadn't seen in years, "I didn't want to be an a$$hole and not go." Um, OK, you are all nurses and should know better. I love my sister so much, but I think she often makes poor choices.

I'm celebrating with relatives and friends out of town at alternate dates when we can eat outdoors, so will be home alone. I've always enjoyed a traditional dinner and fall off the vegan bandwagon for a day, but since it's just me the menu will be different. Jello with fruit and nuts, tofurkey stuffed with wild rice, roasted vegetables, and vegan key lime cheesecake.

Whatever your choice of celebrating Thanksgiving, may your enjoy it in peace!

All the Burlington-area members of my family would normally be going to my son's house for Thanksgiving, but we decided not to do that this year, so he and his wife and two kids will be spending Thanksgiving alone. My son and daughter/SIL will have dinner at our house. My son has tested negative since coming back from Nashville and has been up here since his test result came in, and my son/DIL frequently come up here, and they're homebodies who don't hang out in groups, so we're not worried about them.

So count me among the 61% who CNN said have changed Thanksgiving plans because of COVID.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanksgiving always was the holiday I could do without, and I've done so (thankfully) for years. I'll be making a pizza.

And as I watched the news and saw the horrifying animation of planes in flight for the holidays--looking like a large swarm of bees--I resigned myself to hunkering even farther into my burrow. And this morning, headlines announced that Washington had surpassed records for COVID infections and deaths. Pass the chili seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    We will be preparing and delivering Thanksgiving dinners for nine people -- in three different households. And we won't be eating with any of them. DD/DSiL/grandkids, DSiL's mother (diagnosed positive for COVID-19), and our next-door neighbors who frequently lack the energy after their cancer treatments to make dinner. Then we'll go home and enjoy Thanksgiving dinner in comfort in our PJs.
    That is so nice!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

In-house dinner and some food to the neighbor next door.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information