Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for death

Okay, now I am really confused. For 1495, you can get something called a natural green cremation package, but it's 2.5 hours north of Portland, so I don't think it would work. What are they talking about here?

Wow. That's pretty cool, but you're right. How do they "cremate" you without fire??
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Exactly. You get ashes at the end of both, so how does water do that?

Ok, I just googled and youtubed this, and I really, really wish I hadn't.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I wonder why it’s so expensive in Maine? It is nearly 3 times as much as it is here in St. Louis.

Well, perhaps they’re dealing with state regulations and mandated things that don’t exist here in Missouri. Also we’re more populated here in the city than in most of Maine so it may be economy of scale. Also, cheaper energy costs here to fire up the ovens?
    It's the same in Vermont--similar to Maine. Here is the breakdown of costs at a direct cremation place near me.

The following charges with the exception of the funeral home service charge and Crematory charge are required by the State of Vermont. These fees for permits are not retained by the funeral home but are the direct cost of such permits. We make it convenient for the family to pay one sum instead of writing various small checks for these necessary items.

1,065.00: Funeral Home Service Charge
    390.00: Crematory Charge
    25.00: Medical Examiner Permit
    10.00: 1 Certified Death Certificate (additional certified copies by request $10/each)
    5.00: Transit Permit
    $1,495.00 Total Direct Cremation Charges for Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille & Grand Isle Counties
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Didnít they also bury the pets and servants with them as well?
    I believe that is correct, and not nearly as benign as burying someone with their favorite inanimate objects.

Well honestly, I think 1500-1700 dollars seems pretty inexpensive, for all of those fees and the services involved. I do wonder why it's cheaper where IL lives.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    It's the same in Vermont--similar to Maine. Here is the breakdown of costs at a direct cremation place near me.

The following charges with the exception of the funeral home service charge and Crematory charge are required by the State of Vermont. These fees for permits are not retained by the funeral home but are the direct cost of such permits. We make it convenient for the family to pay one sum instead of writing various small checks for these necessary items.

1,065.00: Funeral Home Service Charge
    390.00: Crematory Charge
    25.00: Medical Examiner Permit
    10.00: 1 Certified Death Certificate (additional certified copies by request $10/each)
    5.00: Transit Permit
    $1,495.00 Total Direct Cremation Charges for Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille & Grand Isle Counties
    ok, exactly as I thought: the funeral home charges $1,000.

That is not necessary here. I wonder if it is really necessary where you all are in the NE.

So if you have a direct cremation, what do you do when it comes to those who want to pay respects? Come to your house--something like sitting shiva? Or maybe just have a "party" at a restaurant or other venue?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So if you have a direct cremation, what do you do when it comes to those who want to pay respects? Come to your house--something like sitting shiva? Or maybe just have a "party" at a restaurant or other venue?
    My MIL's ashes were spread at sea and family got together on the boat.

Thread Information