Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas

He has been negative for 2 weeks. I meant to type had not has. He is on a flight crew and they all got it. He is flying again. The military has been cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    He has been negative for 2 weeks. I meant to type had not has. He is on a flight crew and they all got it. He is flying again. The military has been cautious.
    Glad he is okay. Have a friend whose niece was on a ship where Covid hit. She was told the military did a good job quarantining, testing and caring for those that both had it and did not have it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I've been on-again-off-again with Christmas cards through the years. I would like to send some this year - just need to "do it".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We are decorating and putting up our tree next Sunday. I am enjoying my fall mantle décor so much right now I wasn't ready to transition. First day of Advent is too close to Thanksgiving for me.

I have my DH's and DD's gift, and granDD's. Will get a book for my SIL along with a couple jars of my pickled asparagus (tradition he looks forward to). No idea what to get my 18 yr-old grandson. Everything he wants is $$$$. Any ideas? Mind you, he's autistic, does not do video games or sports (except fishing, hiking). He also doesn't read for pleasure. He watches speculative evolution documentaries and memorizes the narratives. There ya go.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    No idea what to get my 18 yr-old grandson. Everything he wants is $$$$. Any ideas?
    A gift we've thought of for a few hard-to-buy-for folks is one of those watch-and-grow gardens. That's probably a trade name, but it's essentially a pot full of bulbs that are forced so they grow out of season in the pot. You can care for it (not very complicated) and observe the changes and, especially if we're all stuck inside this winter, it'll be nice to have something live and growing nearby. If you can splash out with the budget, maybe one of those tabletop gardens would work (Aerogardens, etc).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I've been on-again-off-again with Christmas cards through the years. I would like to send some this year - just need to "do it".
    SO is the ‘Christmas carder’ in our household. He’s been the same abou on again off again. If ever there was a year for ‘just do It this is the one.

Since we're in a new house for this Christmas, and it faces the street instead of the back of the block like our apartment did, SO decided to decorate (which means I had to climb on the garage roof but we're both happy with the result.)

christmas.jpg

Ten years ago I sent about a dozen cards to older family friends and distant relatives in Germany and the Netherlands, whom we had met when we visited in 2007. A few of the younger ones had stayed in touch via email, but these are people over 75 years old. English is not very easy for them.

Again this year I’m sending them cards. Between having extra time due to not working, and less to do due to various quarantines, it seemed like the right time to send them a holiday card and note again.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    No idea what to get my 18 yr-old grandson. Everything he wants is $$$$. Any ideas? Mind you, he's autistic, does not do video games or sports (except fishing, hiking).
    I have four or five folding pocket knives that were either gifted to me or inherited and each has a little special meaning beyond utilitarian. I have a small Kershaw for an every day and a basic Swiss Army that I often carry in a pack or camping. Desires might be different for a younger generation.
    Last edited by Rogar; 12-1-20 at 8:54am.

I've probably told this before, but I clearly remember watching my mother stress her way through an enormous list of cards that had to be sent with little personal notes/letters in each one. The year I especially remember, I was about 10 and we were at my grandparents in NC for the holidays. Mom seemed to spend all her time through xmas and beyond on those damned cards (I'm sure this is somewhat exaggerated in my mind). I thought to myself, "I'm never doing that," and I haven't.

Thread Information