Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas

Christmas

Okay - I did it. I started the "Christmas" thread and it's not even December 1st yet. LOL.

Spent some of this weekend doing holiday preparations while I actually have the time. The tree is up (artificial) but the branches are not arranged nor is it decorated - except for the permanent strand of lights on it. I also got our single string of lights up around the porch front and some ribbons on the porch posts. That will be the extent of the outside decorations. LOL.

It will be a minimal gift-giving year, as I'm actually planning donations in the names of extended family. Everyone is well -off and doesn't "need" anything, plus chances of seeing them over the holidays are pretty non-existent. Family gifts will also be at a minimum and I'm hoping our time together will be the gift we give each other. (sappy, I know - but I can't help it!)

Planning to do some holiday cards in a little while.

So, how far has anyone else gotten?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have put up my outside display which includes a pair of choir children that my DH made for me 50 years ago, a new prelit little tree which are timed for lighting when dark; a wreath I made for the front door and a snowbear my kids gave me a few years ago in the entry; one urn with a silver ball, another with a green arrangement.

I traditionally decorate the inside of the house on Dec 1st. Not sure why then but it has seemed the right time for years.

I have suggested a 'zoom' family dinner in lieu of visits this year to protect everyone from covid and any bad weather.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I am doing my traditional nothing again. Already have mom's present, a cellular enabled Kindle. Hubby has been buying what he wants and I could not think of a single thing I wanted. Got a special Tshirt for my favorite exercise instructor.

These holiday times are just too commercialized for me and it sucks out the good feelings. (We did all our donations earlier in the year.)

I completed 350 Christmas cards about 10 days ago. I write a personal message in each one for a bulldog rescue organization. And then stuff them stamp them label them etc.

That’s really the only job I have to do. I don’t have to get far because I don’t have things I have to do. Oh wait I did put up lighted Christmas decorations and a tiny tree more than a week ago because Our neighborhood asked for a bigger effort than usual. We are making a film. So OK fine and since one of our neighbors was throwing out several strands of Christmas lights I grab pied them and strung them on Spruce trees outside as well.

But that is it. I don’t have presents to buy. I don’t have food to cook.

I have led candles in the window, and a few garlands with little fairy lights on the railing and around a couple of windows. Tree (fake tabletop) is up but undecorated. I really only buy for hubby and that's mostly done. The littles get money in their 529 (college) funds and I may make some small items for family. I will do a few kinds of cookies (one of which gets mailed to my brother). Christmas "dinner" is gonna be a snack/grazing board I think or maybe some food cooked by other people, but I'm not making a dinner.

I am researching Pinterest for "small house Christmas decorating" because my house won't even hold a tree. I saw a good idea for a wall tree with branches that you can actually hang ornaments on, so I might go that route. Last year we didn't expect to be here but we were so I ran out at the last minute and bought a crappy $5 tree at the dollar store and stuck it on a stool. It just doesn't cut it.

Gifts: I've picked up a couple online things I couldn't resist. I bought 4 Ruth Bader Ginsburg wine glasses for DD and DIL, and a couple of nice wooden toys for the grandkids. I do buy gifts, but we have severely minimized our gifting. I'll get a gift basket for my brothers, and some clothes for DH because he is TERRIBLE at recognizing when he needs new clothes these days--this is the same man who dressed during his working days like a cross between Dominick Dunne and Tim Gunn.

Cards: IL, I am IMPRESSED!!!! I always start with good intentions and never follow through when it comes to cards. December is typically the busiest time of year for me work-wise, as companies try to dump the rest of their budgets, so I'm always pressed for time. So, I'm not even trying this year.

I have a lighted star to hang on the house outside, and I may buy a couple of lighted lawn ornaments and then take the wrath of DH. He doesn't think we should do anything because no one sees it, but I tell him that I see it and it cheers me up.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I sent all my Christmas decorations to the new house with my husband's tools and the chainsaws. If we get there, we'll put it up. Unless my son wants to take my granddaughters up there in my absence and decorate the tree, like santa's little elves

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I sent all my Christmas decorations to the new house with my husband's tools and the chainsaws. If we get there, we'll put it up. Unless my son wants to take my granddaughters up there in my absence and decorate the tree, like santa's little elves
    That is so cool!!! Nothing will make you feel more at home in your new home than your Christmas decorations. I'm getting mine from New Jersey and making the most of them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Tybee: Did you already tell us about the new home and I missed it? I am dying to hear more!

catherine - I've seen some wall Christmas trees and some of them are pretty impressive!

Tybee - first holidays in a new house is exciting! Have fun.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information