Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Much Time

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Call up people you haven't talked to in a while. If your hurts your wrist to hold the phone use speakerphone.
    Or earbuds or headphones.
    Are your hands up to freehand collage, finger-painting, or other arty pursuits not requiring too much dexterity?

Thanks ya'll for your suggestions and letting me just vent. Many of the things I have done, like calling a bunch of people during the holiday weekend. I was able to finally finish my first sock last night which felt good. Yesterday I spent a few hours deep-cleaning the gallery for re-opening tomorrow (which was not great for the hands and wrists but I can't be absolutely side-lined from every thing). I also took a mini-hike up to the old town dump to scavenge things for future art pieces. It is shocking how bad my balance is these days (I am having some other neurological-type issues as well), so I had to be VERY careful on the rocky, slidy ridge where all the cool junk had been tossed for decades. I used to have no problem negotiating hillsides and rocks, so that kind of freaks me out.

I feel a little better about things today. The sun is shining and I had to go into Santa Fe to pick up an order from Target (thank god for online ordering; when I got there the line to get in was all the way around to the back of the building). I am not going in any stores, as I believe the chance of being infected is as high as it has ever been after the Thanksgiving holiday.

On day at a time, and trying to remember my gratitude in spite of my body failing me in so many ways.

Oh, SiouzQ, Hang in there. The lack of balance is always scary. It may be your wrist and hand are affecting you balance. The sun shining makes such a difference in attitude. Good luck and give yourself time.

This is a brilliant suggestion.

Sometimes when I'm stuck inside and maxed out on the day for reading, guitar playing, internet surfing, indoor exercising or eliminating needless things from the condo, I try to meditate. No, it doesn't sound exciting, but I find that it can calm my mind and provide focus when I'm having trouble focusing.

If nothing else, I put in a podcast or a music mp3 and just listen. That sometimes helps as well.

Some friends of mine took day trips to remote farms or to AirBnBs with no other tenants and just hung out and went for hikes. They only did this a few times over the past year, but they said it really cut down on feeling like caged animals.

Ed: I started meditating earlier this year as my "rewirement" commitment when I took the Science of Well-Being course. I have meditated (or at least tried) every day for the last 218 days. I use the Insight Timer free app. I often do better with the guided meditations; they make it less likely for me to get lost in thought. They say that if you at least spend the time trying and don't give up, then you have "succeeded," so by that low bar I'm doing well enough.

Thread Information