Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: December Purge

December Purge

DH has continued work on the flat file. By comparison to what it looked like before, it's downright respectable! This of course, generated yet more artwork to sell, papers to recycle, and stuff for the antique booth. I have a manual coffee grinder and egg scale to go to the booth this week and books for the thrift shop down the road.

I have a surplus of vintage wooden crates I need to sell, somewhere. Also 2 old oak rimmed antique mirrors. And 2 beveled edge modern mirrors too. They'd all be great flea market fodder, but no flea markets.

I'd really, really love to be rid of all the excess stuff by next spring. No more boxes of books. No more piles 'o stuff. No more storage units?

To that end, it's dump day tomorrow. I have no idea what's going except the trash and recycling -- but we'll find something! The little cat needs to go to the vet. Before COVID, I could donate a few books to their waiting room. But these days, you wait in your car.

Well, wouldnt you know, now I need a couple of the fleece blankets I pitched a year ago.

Fortunately they are dime a dozen at the thrift stores and are cheap. But mainly I hate the idea of adding that awful fleece stuff to the landfill when I didn’t have to.If they have better quality bedding, I might use it. We have a small dog who is cold all the time so she needs bedding to burrow in.

I know this is a thread about purging not being regret full about something we purge! But it just occurred to me today. Although rather than getting fleece maybe I’ll get a quilted something at the thrift store.

I reached out to the guy that took laptops from me previously for scrapping, and he came by yesterday and picked up: old dehumidifier, DH's old laptop, mom's defective DVD player, and Dsis's 2 old laptops. He is the trusted friend of a trusted friend, so I'm trusting him to destroy the hard drives as promised (seemed to go OK last time). This is also a frugal because I would have had to pay $20 to the town for a sticker to dispose of the dehumidifier.

My stick/immersion blender died, so it's off to the dump, sigh. (DH tried to fix it first.) Also, the other day I had gotten behind washing napkins and placemats. The small drawers on top of a file cabinet where I kept them was empty. I decided to take advantage of that and vac them out. I was prepping dinner. When I got back in the kitchen, my hands were BLUE. The same blue as the file cabinet. It's going to the dump today too.

Not sure what else, aside from the household garbage/recycling is going.

The file drawer thing will for the moment be replaced by two wooden boxes we have. The stick blender is being researched. The company that made mine got sold. Then that company got sold, 2x. Then someone bought the right to use the name...

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well, wouldnt you know, now I need a couple of the fleece blankets I pitched a year ago.

Fortunately they are dime a dozen at the thrift stores and are cheap. But mainly I hate the idea of adding that awful fleece stuff to the landfill when I didn’t have to.If they have better quality bedding, I might use it. We have a small dog who is cold all the time so she needs bedding to burrow in.

I know this is a thread about purging not being regret full about something we purge! But it just occurred to me today. Although rather than getting fleece maybe I’ll get a quilted something at the thrift store.
    I don't find quilted cotton particularly warm; I'd stick with fleece, and maybe look for a down pillow to line the dog bed.

Fleece is the best for dogs and people)

IL, maybe if you have a big, thick bath towel that can be repurposed as a dog blanket? Not sure how big the dog is or how big your extra towels may be. Just a thought.

I finally have a donation pickup scheduled for next week, so prep is underway to list, bag/box all the stuff in the donation corner and anything else that can be found! (So, no official count yet. LOL)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Also, you can make a pet bed by cutting up a wool blanket, sandwiching it between sheets of space blanket, putting it into a pillowcase, and basting it shut. The wool and space blanket will provide warmth.

I do use big thick towels as well. They are absorbent.

I don’t have conventional dog “beds “ because my dogs pee in them. My very clean dog came with his own very nice bed. He was fine in it. Then we added Minnie Mouse to our household and she leaks urine. Then, They had peeing contests in the bed. I pitched it.

My dog bedding is made up of loose towels or small fleece blankets or fleece blankets cut in half. I also have a stack of comforters that I cut up and sewed edges shut many years ago. You need to be easy to wash without me tearing apart a dog bed and stuffing it back together. Bedding is washed every couple of days.

Fleece is warm, I’ll give you that, but it is not at all absorbent.

Trying to sell a car and get us down to a one-vehicle family. I've listed it on FB Marketplace, some local FB buy-sell-trade sites, Craigslist and my work intranet bulletin board. Will use the proceeds to pay off the other car loan and save for taxes we'll owe in 2021. We'll save monthly cash flow with not paying car insurance, which will be good.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information