Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: December Purge

Car max buys cars if you have one nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    DH has continued work on the flat file. By comparison to what it looked like before, it's downright respectable! This of course, generated yet more artwork to sell, papers to recycle, and stuff for the antique booth. I have a manual coffee grinder and egg scale to go to the booth this week and books for the thrift shop down the road.

I have a surplus of vintage wooden crates I need to sell, somewhere. Also 2 old oak rimmed antique mirrors. And 2 beveled edge modern mirrors too. They'd all be great flea market fodder, but no flea markets.

I'd really, really love to be rid of all the excess stuff by next spring. No more boxes of books. No more piles 'o stuff. No more storage units?

To that end, it's dump day tomorrow. I have no idea what's going except the trash and recycling -- but we'll find something! The little cat needs to go to the vet. Before COVID, I could donate a few books to their waiting room. But these days, you wait in your car.
    Facebook Marketplace moves things fast around here! Anything I have listed is gone within an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Car max buys cars if you have one nearby.
    They do - but it's about 66% of what I should be able to get from a private sale. Edit - I just checked Carvana. The nearest Carmax is 75 miles away, but perhaps they do offer more, I don't know.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Last weekend I took 6 items (2 large) to Goodwill. That's it for this month so far.

Over the weekend our neighborhood had a tree lighting event. It was outdoors on the plaza and everyone was masked up so I guess it was safe who knows. I certainly had not been in a crowd of that size since Covid hit us last March. Anyway, I set up a table and gave away children’s books. I got rid of about 60 of them.

I’m listing a few on eBay. My minimum is goal is to make $10 each on the first listing. If I don’t think I can make $10 I set them aside for the used book store. I also scrounged up two pieces of costume jewelry that are selling. I have a couple pieces of clothing from the 70s that seem to have a little bit of value on eBay. I know I can get $10 each.

If we weren’t sitting around in Covid time ps I would not be wasting my time on all these tiny little eBay sales but I have time. I’m motivated because I am tracking every bit of profit and will donate it to the park Conservancy.

I want to purge some plants I have growing indoors to make room for seed starts since the sunroom has only one very sunny space. Our Trader Joe's gives away their tired plants during senior hours so I have some I don't really want to keep. I don't really get into houseplants but can't resist when they are free. That would include some spider plants, a 2 ft tall tomato plant and some pothos ivy. The tomato is a fighter but I can't see keeping it alive all winter. Maybe someone else can. I listed some free cuttings of a succulent on FB and the response was huge.

Sold 4 scuba tanks I no longer need for $700 total.

By the time we sell our cars they are only worth about 1k so sell on CL and Facebook marketplace. I have 4 bags for the thrift store that will get dropped off tomorrow and 4 bags of food for a small shelter that’s always taking food.

We have been pretty steadily getting rid of things over past two weeks because of impending move. Today I put out a treadle sewing machine table that is beautiful and make someone a nice Christmas present. I also put out two metal motel chairs--I had three and kept the best one. There is still a mid century modern oak desk and a file cabinet; if they are not gone by tonight, I will probably bring them, just not sure where I will put them. New house is pretty small. So maybe take to Habitat.

I have been very happy with the stuff that people have taken, and my husband even put out two old giant speakers that he didn't want to fiddle with anymore.

He's trying to sell a few more things on Craigslist, but I just want stuff gone.

Yppej
    I replaced two glasses cases, one broken and one irreparably fuzzed up.
    Last edited by Yppej; 12-11-20 at 5:58am.

Thread Information