Thread: Crickets..........

Crickets..........

New Mexico non-essential retail was allowed to reopen this past Wednesday at 25% capacity. So far, no one came in on Wednesday at all, so I gave up at 3pm and went home. Yesterday no one came in for the first 4.5 hours but eventually I had four people in and made two sales. Today (Friday) so far no one and I have been here for 2.5 hours.

The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend but I am afraid that many will be doing their shopping online at big box stores and forgetting the struggling little guys out there. It's very difficult for this little tourist enclave, especially since the restaurants cannot do indoor dining and it is too cold to eat outdoors. One of them closed until spring and the other is trying to do take-out on the weekends once again. It's such the conundrum these days to try to be open because case counts everywhere are sky-rocketing and it's never been more risky to be out and about.

Nevertheless, "she" persisted. At least it fills my days somewhat to be here (forgot to mention, the owners of the gallery have always left it up to me whether I want to be here working during the pandemic; whether I feel safe to do so). They are awesome and have continued to pay my salary this entire year to look after things, be a building caretaker, make sure the pipes don't freeze, etc).

Sounds so frustrating, SZQ. And sad. I feel for small businesspeople. We've been trying to shop more locally. Do you have an online shop, like Etsy?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Five hours in, I just had my first two customers. And they bought a little metal sculpture, thank goodness.

We have a website which is sorely out of date, but is not a shopping cart site. I do not have the access (nor much knowledge) to update it. I somehow managed to make my own website for my jewelry but to do the same for the gallery which has HUNDREDS of items is beyond the scope of my abilities. I don't think the owner is too worried about it. I try to post all sorts of photos on our Facebook page and provide prices and ordering information, and also do a lot of promotion on the town's public Facebook page. I have garnered some sales that way.

On the personal side, I finally bit the bullet and set up an Instagram account for my jewelry because I heard people were having some success selling through that platform. I've been at it earnestly for a week now and have gotten some "followers" but no sales yet. I think having to do everything online is overwhelming everyone out there; so many people are trying to sell so many things, all day and night long it gets exhausting!

I can understand that many people won’t shop in stores myself included. Until things improve it’s online only. I know it’s hitting the small shops hard.

This is a terrible time for many many businesses - and a terrible time for the families and friends of those who had died from this virus. There are obviously no simple answers to our many and conflicting needs as a society. . . Like TT, we don't shop unless we have to - online is about it, except for groceries. SiouzQ, it sounds like you're doing all you can to keep the gallery open and visible. Take care!

How kind and generous of the owners to keep the payroll going! I hope you get more sales as the holiday season progresses.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Is there a Chamber of Commerce or some other association of the small business owners which can promote your area more heavily? There's been a significant push around here to promote small businesses -- spreads in local newspapers, features on Minnesota/Twin Cities Web sites, Small Business Mondays on neighborhood Facebook groups, etc. Amazon and Target and McDonald's are going to do just fine through this. I think it helps people to know what's out there that's unique and different -- it builds toward a critical mass.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Didn't you used to work at a supermarket? Sounds like you have a backup plan though hopefully it doesn't come to that. At work yesterday they told us covid is not going away anytime soon so adjust. Even once a vaccine is available to everyone not everyone will be willing to take it, it may wear off over time, and the virus may mutate.

A little better today: 22 people in and actually made a whopping (not) $115. A normal Saturday this time of year would be $400-$700. It is what it is...

I'm not worried about my job though, at least at this point. It is a hobby business for the owners who both have secure high-paying jobs. I am here to protect their investment.

Yeppej: just this morning I was thinking how grateful I am to NOT be working at my old Wholefoods job these days. Honestly, I would not be able to physically perform the duties I used to be able to do a mere four years ago. Injuries, surgeries and profound grief have taken a toll on my body. My hands and wrists are getting worse and worse, I have arthritis in my lower back, a torn meniscus in my right knee, and as-of-yet unexplained balance issues and weakness in my right leg.

I am very grateful that K and I have teamed up. In fact, I am going to be on his health insurance next year. It's very nice to not be going it alone anymore.

I remember how hard working at Whole Foods was for your body. I am glad you have a better one.

Thread Information