Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do we lose in product evaluation from online shopping?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    When I made my daughter's wedding dress, my biggest frustration was not being able to see and touch the fabrics. DD ordered samples but it's not the same thing. Fabric is definitely something you have to see in person.

As for furniture, I agree that you just have to take your chances. Is there a reason you're set on buying online? You seem to appreciate good furniture, and maybe you just go to high quality consignment and antique shops. As for "modern"--find a store that specializes in mid-century modern and you might find some really interesting pieces.

Or, buy from furniture makers you know have a reputation for quality, like Thomas Moser, or Ethan Allen.
    silver. I want a silver paint finish. Then I will apply silver leaf on top of it. Yes it is gaudy so sue me! Haha.

There are no silver pieces in used furniture places, it is a current trend.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    silver. I want a silver paint finish. Then I will apply silver leaf on top of it. Yes it is gaudy so sue me! Haha.

haha! Go for it! You deserve every bit of expensive, gaudy crap you can get your hands on, IL. You earned it.

Anyway, I have ordered furniture and rugs, etc from both Wayfair and Overstock and have been reasonably happy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Oh, wow! Gaudy! Go for it, but what is it you like about the silver finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Oh, wow! Gaudy! Go for it, but what is it you like about the silver finish?
    It is contemporary while also neutral. I think it will look sleek in the room with navy blue walls and white woodwork. Also, most of the picture frames will be silver. And with so much silver I can kick the can down the road in choosing an accent color. I think the accent color will be periwinkle or coral or red.

But here’s the cool thing: this silver piece of furniture back up to a wall where there is the front door. I will paint that door silver as well. Not woodwork white, buT silver. I saw this done in another condo like it and it was so cool. The color wasn’t silver it was gray blue, but the matching credenza and door were a stroke of genius.

Silver is more modern than gold, to me.

I know someone who painted his woodwork silver 20 years ago. I have never forgotten that.. And then, around that time, My crazy friend painted her walls silver, not a shiny silver, but still it was silver.

Can you post a picture of one of these? I have found some but can't imagine they would go with your decor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Can you post a picture of one of these? I have found some but can't imagine they would go with your decor.
    F99E5F43-E771-4C66-B565-C67097527B92.jpg70A94ACB-1351-48E6-8A2F-E6DB81CC9B7C.jpg13927574-6F48-46FA-B8BE-18731A70EC91.jpg

These are the three I’m looking at.

I like the Delancey one.
    I also like the idea of leafing something. I like warm colors, so I'd probably go with gold.

If I had a longer wall and unlimited funds, I would buy this sleek piece. It is $5,000. It shows some nice design work and interesting materials. It makes those cheaper pieces look heavy and clodish.

B313CF4E-6ACD-4093-B78C-5D7E0639F4FE.jpg

Boy, am I out of touch with today's world! I had no idea that such things existed beyond the world of royalty long ago. Fun to see, thanks.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Boy, am I out of touch with today's world! I had no idea that such things existed beyond the world of royalty long ago. Fun to see, thanks.
    Razz, I learned in furniture and cabinet shopping there is MDF and there is mrdf or is it mrdf? Anyway,
    . One is even cheaper than the other. Horrors!

For my new kitchen cabinets we’re going to the Amish guys and have them built. As far as I know those guys are not using MDF yet.

And you can get solid wood for your bathroom vanity but you have to specifically ask for it, seek it out.—wait, on re-read, .i see your mdf is for the box walls, not door necessarily.

well yes, that is probably the best you can get other than having it custom built.

Thread Information