Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best silver polish?

best silver polish?

Any suggestions for a really good silver polish? I am facing some heavily tarnished silver right now, my bad, and I want to polish it prior to my move, and wondered what polish you guys found easiest/best/best for the silver?
    Thanks!

I use the old standard Wright’s Silver Cream.I don’t think there’s any substitute for rubbing each piece. For flat pieces there are the systems that, through electrolytes, remove the tarnish. But that doesn’t work for anything large scale or holloware.

I use aluminum foil and baking soda. Sometimes vinegar. Works really well for me. And no elbow grease involved.

https://www.houseofhawthornes.com/cl...aluminum-foil/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Wenol, but I'm going to try the method Catherine posted!
    We've been using my maternal grandparents' monogrammed silver plate as our daily flatware since we got married. I am guilty of using that quickie dip-it stuff, although I would never use it on real fine sterling.

Just to report back (and thanks for the suggestion--I have used Wrights and like it, and thank you for the baking soda/aluminum foil method) that I researched this and they had polled the experts and got many different answers, and one suggest wadding polish and I went to the hardware store and got a jar for 6 dollars, and it really works! It's weird stuff that I remember my dad using it on either his boat or his gun--but this one antique silver lady swore by it.

Great success. and I also bought those cape cod polishing cloths, but the wadding polish was really aggressive on the heavy tarnish and required less elbow grease.]

I should have also mentioned that I got anti-tarnish cloth from some catalog years ago, and I lined my jewelry box with the cloth. It makes a big difference!

I tried the baking soda-salt-aluminum pan method yesterday, and it was pretty effective. I had to go over a few spots here and there with polish and a cloth, but it definitely saved me substantial elbow grease, so thanks for posting that link, Catherine! When I open my silverware drawer now, everything looks so bright and clean!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I tried the baking soda-salt-aluminum pan method yesterday, and it was pretty effective. I had to go over a few spots here and there with polish and a cloth, but it definitely saved me substantial elbow grease, so thanks for posting that link, Catherine! When I open my silverware drawer now, everything looks so bright and clean!
    That sounds really lovely, Rosa. We are waiting for the pod with our furniture to be delivered, and then I can put my silver in the sideboard when it comes. There is nothing like opening a drawer and seeing that silver so beautiful. The sideboard has anti tarnish drawer lining, but I think I will renew it when I refurbish it. It's been stored in garages and barns for 15 years now. Unfortunately, the weather extremes ruined the veneer in one place, so it ripples. But that's okay.

Wood stove ashes and water supposedly work although I've never done it.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    Wood stove ashes and water supposedly work although I've never done it.
    I love wood ash to clean the glass on my wood stove--it works like magic! This article mentions it as a silver cleaner, too.

https://www.permaculture.co.uk/reade...-uses-wood-ash
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information