Thread: Less is Now trailer

Less is Now trailer

Just got this in my email:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn-xbOCZOiQ

"The Minimalists' new documentary, Less Is Now, a Netflix Original film, directed by Matt D'Avella. Add it to your Netflix queue today so you can watch the full doc when it's released worldwide on New Year's Day 2021!"

I don't have Netflix, but I hope to find a way to watch it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

With humility, I offer that this is one of the reasons for society's dysfunction. We have been hungry for the wrong things and losing our sense of community and care for the well-being and welfare of others because we are preoccupied for obtaining stuff for ourselves. Who needs huge mansions, who needs a car for every member of the family, who needs every new tech toy on the market each year? who needs to travel south or over seas every year? who needs the high powered assault rifle in town? It seems that it is never enough because someone else has more or perceived to have more.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    With humility, I offer that this is one of the reasons for society's dysfunction. We have been hungry for the wrong things and losing our sense of community and care for the well-being and welfare of others because we are preoccupied for obtaining stuff for ourselves. Who needs huge mansions, who needs a car for every member of the family, who needs every new tech toy on the market each year? who needs to travel south or over seas every year? who needs the high powered assault rifle in town? It seems that it is never enough because someone else has more or perceived to have more.
    Your post reminded me of this song... love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-fXn8z1LA
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Your post reminded me of this song... love it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-fXn8z1LA
    Interesting that I had to watch 2 ads (to buy things) before I could listen/watch the video.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Just got this in my email:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn-xbOCZOiQ

"The Minimalists' new documentary, Less Is Now, a Netflix Original film, directed by Matt D'Avella. Add it to your Netflix queue today so you can watch the full doc when it's released worldwide on New Year's Day 2021!"

I don't have Netflix, but I hope to find a way to watch it.
    Looks good---I'll tune in, if I can pry the remote from the hubs' hands.

Reminds me of George Carlin--remember his rant/schtick about "stuff?"
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Looks good---I'll tune in, if I can pry the remote from the hubs' hands.

Reminds me of George Carlin--remember his rant/schtick about "stuff?"
    Yes, I do! Love George Carlin - a very "intellectual" comedian.

George Carlin was a philosopher genius. <3

If anyone actually watched it, please do a review.

I don't have Netflix either, but after watching that trailer I feel like I already know everything the documentary is going to say. Besides which I can point you to a hundred YouTube videos on the subject and several dozen Ted Talks. Without passing judgement on minimalism itself as a lifestyle, I feel like we've been overloaded with people talking about minimalism or pushing their particular version of minimalism. So how about some guidance to separate the wheat from the chaff among all the available information and inspiration?

That's a good idea, GP. Starting a new thread on recommendations for simple living documentaries.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeParker View Post
    If anyone actually watched it, please do a review.

I don't have Netflix either, but after watching that trailer I feel like I already know everything the documentary is going to say. Besides which I can point you to a hundred YouTube videos on the subject and several dozen Ted Talks. Without passing judgement on minimalism itself as a lifestyle, I feel like we've been overloaded with people talking about minimalism or pushing their particular version of minimalism. So how about some guidance to separate the wheat from the chaff among all the available information and inspiration?
    I went to listen to these 2 along with Courtney Carver years ago at an independent bookshop. It was fun to gather but I learned nothing new. Not worth subscribing to Netflix to hear them.

Thread Information