Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air fryer oven - recipes needed

Air fryer oven - recipes needed

So SO got us an air fryer oven thing for christmas. Our old toaster oven is tiny, dirty, ancient, and doesn't do a great job on anything more difficult than making garlic bread for pasta night.

The one he got is big enough that you can both air fry something and grill something below it at the same time. It came with several trays. Besides the "frying" basket it has a flat grill tray, a ribbed grill tray, and a grill tray with 4 indentations intended to hold eggs (I think). The other night I made great turkey burgers and air fried french fries. The turkey burgers turned out juicier and tastier than they do on the grill or my cast iron skillet. And the french fries were crisper and just as tasty as using the deep fryer. And probably much healthier for us since no oil was involved.

Tonight I'm going to make chicken parmesian and garlic knots and tomorrow I plan to try and make tortilla chips from corn tortillas and toasted ravioli.

For those of you that have an air fryer do you have any recipes you would recommend? I'm really excited about making a healthier chicken parm, especially since it also has a much shorter cooking time than the traditional method.

I see them but have not heard how they work and what the food tastes like so your post is interesting info. Enjoy!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We’ve had a thread on air fryers because I started one but it’s been quite a while. I was thinking about getting one. I didn’t get one. I don’t regret that. So let us know how yours works.

The chicken parm turned out great! It took a bit longer than the recipe said it would take so the garlic knots were a bit overdone. But I can correct for that next time. Success!

I have one, but haven't used it yet. I don't often use recipes, but Urvashi Pitre has an air fryer cookbook you could probably check out of your library. Her recipes get generally rave reviews, and are notable for covering a wide range of cuisines.
    https://twosleevers.com/cookingstyle/air-fryer/

Dry rub chicken wings turned out fantastic. We’ve been using this thing a lot. It’s really great at putting a nice crisp outside on stuff that we would previously have cooked in the oven.

For tonight I may search for a coconut shrimp recipe. Frozen shrimp were on sale a couple weeks ago, $5 off, so we have 4 lbs of them in the freezer now.

Glad to hear that you are having fun with this and reading what you are trying. I will never buy so I can enjoy your efforts.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I would like to know how this thing does with samosas and egg rolls.

If it cant do a decent job on those, it remains a hard pass for me. If I can dump the deep fat fryer sitting in my fridge which stays there for year and I use it only 1x every 18 months—ok, i might buy an air fryer.

Yes--deep fat fryers are a pain due to fat storage and disposal.

The draw for me was not so much actual frying as the ability to have a versatile compact oven with auto-shutoff, which I very much prefer to hovering around some kitchen appliance trying to avoid burning something. I understand air "fryers" don't work on battered items, which may or may not describe your snacks. One of the first things I'll probably do with mine is crisp up some poppadoms.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Yes--deep fat fryers are a pain due to fat storage and disposal.

The draw for me was not so much actual frying as the ability to have a versatile compact oven with auto-shutoff, which I very much prefer to hovering around some kitchen appliance trying to avoid burning something. I understand air "fryers" don't work on battered items, which may or may not describe your snacks. One of the first things I'll probably do with mine is crisp up some poppadoms.
    Once every 3-4 years I make battered onion rings. So, those are out.

Thread Information