Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: December Frugals

IL: Purchases can be frugal if you get good value for your money, and it sounds like you did!
    Jeppy: That sounds more like an allergic reaction. I hope you are able to get it cleared up; it must be very unpleasant.

Thank you Rosa. It seems what I have is perioral dermatitis, rash around the mouth, often caused by steroids but I am not on any. I think in my case it is from wearing a mask. I know it is not shingles because I had that vaccine.

Went to a smaller grocery store near where I work - lower risk part of the state and quicker in and out. Mainly bought sake items as their regular prices are higher than Market Basket.

Frugal - I took my car in for maintenance and asked the breakdown upon checkout. They did not disclose a hidden $9.62 shop fee charge. I discovered this when I got home and complained enough they refunded it to me.

Not frugal - I really need to figure out how to change the cabin filter myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Frugal - I took my car in for maintenance and asked the breakdown upon checkout. They did not disclose a hidden $9.62 shop fee charge. I discovered this when I got home and complained enough they refunded it to me.

Not frugal - I really need to figure out how to change the cabin filter myself.
    It's really easy--just get the owner's manual and it shows you how, or look up your car on youtube and someone will show you how--I did my Yaris myself in a jiffy.

Yeah, the cabin filter on my Jetta is maybe six bolts and a plastic panel right by the passenger-side windshield wiper. Easy peasy on that car.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I am not going for groceries this week, mainly due to covid but it will also save money. I did get takeout today but was the only customer there. They were so happy for my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am not going for groceries this week, mainly due to covid but it will also save money. I did get takeout today but was the only customer there. They were so happy for my business.
    Thursday is our usual grocery day, but we decided it would probably be a madhouse, so we didn't go. We usually try to avoid shopping on Saturdays, but we're hoping the day after Xmas might be pretty mellow like the day after Thanksgiving was. The reduced occupancy limits go into effect tomorrow, so the stores will be less crowded for sure, the question is how long we might have to wait in line outside. Still, better to opt for safety than convenience.

Replaced the broken casters on my computer chair. I thought we had some stashed but they were too small, so had to buy a set. Still, $14 compared to replacing chair, not so bad. And it actually ROLLS now, without further tearing up the wood floor. We didn't buy a huge, lovely live tree this year, but put up DD's two 6' white kitschy ones instead. One was pre-lit, but a section went out while we were decorating it. We just strung other lights over it and it looked grand! But more lights just went out last night, so when we take it down, we'll remove all the pre-lights and next time we use it we'll just use regular lights on it, and it will be good for years yet. I never thought I'd like a fake tree, but using ones that don't even TRY to pretend they are real didn't bother me so much. It looks really different, but loved it. AND lots cheaper, lol. Big trees are expensive here!

I like fake trees--sitting around smelling the heady aroma of a dying fir just makes me sad. I have plenty of cedar I can trim for that Christmas experience.

Thread Information