Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite cooking shows?

Your favorite cooking shows?

To avoid doom-scrolling, or doom-news-show-watching, I've been binge-watching cooking shows while puttering around the house the past few months.

I've really enjoyed:

- The Great British Baking Show
    - Somebody Feed Phil
    - James May: Oh Cook!

What are some of your favorites?

OMG, you should compare notes with my husband. He does nothing but watch cooking shows--for hours a day. Gordon Ramsay is his god. No joke. He has recently become an Asian street food fanatic and spends a good amount of time watching shows on that.

As for me, I do like Chopped and can easily binge-watch that show. The rest I'm lukewarm about. (I do like Guy Fieri and Triple D, however)

It's handy having HGTV one channel away from Food Network on our remote, so that when there's a commercial on one, we switch to the other so we're both happy.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes, what's with the guys and cooking shows? My DH can binge Triple D all day long. (Why does Guy have to yell so much??) He also watches the barbecue competitions, too. (yawn)

That said, I could binge watch all the seasons of the Great British Baking Show no problem. I also occasionally enjoy Andrew Zimmern's travel/food show, "Delicious Destinations" because of the travel AND food combo. I think it's a spin-off of his Bizarre Foods show.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I like The Best Thing I Ever Ate and Delicious Destinations; I'm not nuts about most competitions, but I really enjoyed the early Top Chef episodes--especially #5 with the Euros and Carla Hall.

My favorite is Struggle Meals on Tastemade/Youtube. Interesting food done cheaply. Many many years ago there was a cooking show where the contestants were given a bag of 10 (I think) items and had to come up with a menu that used them all, and hada limited time period to do all the cooking, like 1/2 hr. I found that really fun to see the interesting combinations, or different ways to use an ingredient I might have around the house.

I can't stand Ramsey and all that yelling. I watch TV to relax, not get all stressed out.

Also not cooking show per se, but I liked Mind of a Chef and a Chef's Life.

I really enjoyed Mind of a Chef and Chef's Life, I've been savoring those instead of bingeing them!

Mexico One Plate at a Time with Rick Bayless. Authentic dishes of Mexico sometimes prepared on location, sometimes not. And New Scandinavian Cooking where the host cooks traditional Nordic dishes outdoors over an open fire with local ingredients. Both on PBS. I don't binge watch them and some may even be re-runs, but they usually catch my eye if they are on.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post

I can't stand Ramsey and all that yelling. I watch TV to relax, not get all stressed out.
    That "Hell's Kitchen" persona is put on.. DH simply admires his life story, accomplishments and cooking approach. On our 40th anniversary I happened to have a market research gig in London, so DH came and we made an anniversary trip out of it. We stayed at a hotel that housed a Ramsay restaurant. (He actually was at the restaurant the night we were there!). Here's a picture of DH snooping around at the pass.

IMG_3461.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

And New Scandinavian Cooking where the host cooks traditional Nordic dishes outdoors over an open fire with local ingredients.
    I liked this show several years ago when Andreas Vestadt was the host. He'd travel to various locations, then randomly cook wherever he was. Gets off a train, hikes to a mountain and there's a table and burners. Cooks his lunch and brings it back on the train with it. It was very funny.

[QUOTE=herbgeek;370414]I can't stand Ramsey and all that yelling. /QUOTE]

I really like him on MasterChef Junior. The kids really seem to like him and he does a great job with his critiques. That said, all the young people I've seen on that show so far have been WAY better cooks than I ever hope to be!
    Last edited by happystuff; 12-18-20 at 1:23pm.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information