Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good things I learned in 2020

Good things I learned in 2020

It has been a challenging year, I admit, but I have learned things that I value now. I wonder how many others have a similar experience.

- the people in the world can change very quickly if needed to meet a challenge such as limiting a pandemic. It was deemed impossible before. Maybe, just maybe, we can reduce climate change.

- Suppliers can develop other methods and products very quickly to meet needs such as alcohol sanitizers and masks. I made masks quickly as well after reading instructions quickly posted online. Vaccines are developed so quickly now surprising even the researchers.

- zoom services have made many activities such as church services, exercise classes easily accessible.

- my garden is my haven of peace instead of my being out attending events so I am investing more of my time to enjoy it

- now I mix a simple spray bottle of water, a little dish detergent and add 3T of bleach to clean everything regularly

- before I hesitated to invite people spontaneously for takeout; now I am thanked for doing so once a week throughout the summer and supporting local restaurants. I picked up the take-outs, was reimbursed and we socialized with proper spacing. Will it continue next year?

- online music events are wonderful; streaming of operas and other concerts are worth every penny

- online instruction has so much available to meet personal interests - art seminars, Coursera programs, etc.

- for years I was so organized as though I had a supervisor monitoring me. I am now relaxing and loving the freedom from that 'supervisor'.
    - food especially homebaked breads while very tasty are to be limited in production and eating

What good discoveries have you made this year?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    I learned to better understand the viewpoints of political conservatives. I tend to be liberal but the top down, authoritarian approach to the pandemic in my state made me sympathetic to them as the governor tried to deprive people of basic constitutional rights like freedom of religion and freedom of assembly (except for BLM protestors who could assemble).

Transferring to a job site in a rural and conservative area where covid rates are much lower reinforced this. I feel safer amongst people who use common sense protections and appreciate open space, not crowding up on each other. This is something they do all the time.

I learned I'm more of a hermit than I thought I was. I have appreciated space to eliminate some superfluous activities.

I've learned that I don't have to put lipstick on and create a lighting design to minimize wrinkles for Zoom calls.

I've learned that we are inextricably interconnected as a global community.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I learned that life was too hectic before. I just can't go back to that hecticness. Some of that hecticness was trying to do the right thing, driving all over town to recycle and so on (because no convenient recycling). That may not happen so much, and bills going on autopay now etc..

I learned that much of the stuff I did before, was not actually worth doing, including the hecticness, including some shopping etc..

I learned working from home makes life sane (as does working part time which I did for awhile years ago), this and that period of time will be remembered as those where I had time to reflect etc..

I learned I only need to shop for groceries once a week, and if breakfast and lunch are pretty much the same thing everyday, planning is not that hard.

I learned I do miss some social contact

the people in the world can change very quickly if needed to meet a challenge such as limiting a pandemic. It was deemed impossible before. Maybe, just maybe, we can reduce climate change.
    could not have taken a more opposite perspective from this, the social failure at a defined immediate crisis like covid, with the requirements for short term sacrifice and cooperation and coordination, but of a well defined and time limited sort, means nothing good for a truly long term complex crisis like climate change. Covid is an easy problem, climate change is a hard problem. So a techno solution (a vaccine) might save us in a few months despite social failure, well great, but we don't' really have a purely techno solution for climate change, it requires all those things we failed at. My despair that people, at least in the U.S., are even kind of up to the challenge of climate change kind of crystalized very hard by this pandemic experience. The end result of that maybe I become more apathetic (shrug, human extinction - IBGYBG) I'm not saying becoming so is laudable mind you. The earth has gone through hothouse and ice house cycles before just not with humans and nuclear weapons and artificial suns.
    Trees don't grow on money

I learned how to do an amazing amount of stuff from my couch: order groceries; keep up with friends (teleconferencing and more); stream concerts and visit art exhibits; order eyeglasses; read all kinds of periodicals and journals; etc.

I learned how to cut my own hair. For someone who went to the barber shop every four to five weeks, this is a sea change. I'm not sure if I'll be back there once again even when it's a good idea.

I learned that I don't need as much time to myself as I thought. tbh I'm a little amazed that DW and I have not been at each other given all the time we spend in the house. But it's worked out.

I learned that people can adapt to things quickly when it benefits them to do so. My mother, who has long resisted the idea of using a computer, now successfully orders groceries on-line for delivery. People discovered that valid work can be done in meetings without everyone being in the same physical room and that the same mechanism provides a passable venue for lunches and happy hours.

I learned that Americans can understand that their vote actually does count. The system held up despite the failure of some Republicans to understand basic math.

And I learned the names of the various Disney princesses. Well, most of them.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I learned that, the more time I spent inside my home, the less I wanted a good portion of the "stuff" inside. That while I still have some "wants", I am blessed and grateful that my most basic "needs" are fulfilled.

I learned that the majority of people are good, kind, compassionate, caring individuals.

I learned that I like gardening!!! Thank you to those on the forums that helped with my questions, etc. earlier in the year. I'm planning on continuing next year.

And I learned that I still have a lot to learn.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

This thread is a good way to wrap up the year:
    I realized that eating out is enjoyable but not necessary and that cooking at home is a better value.
    I came to like reading fiction books by joining a book club (we meet outside in the park).
    I became obsessed with gardening and seed-collecting and will never tire of it; so much to learn.
    I learned that ignoring a lot of the "news" made me a happier person.
    I learned that living with a significant other 24/7 requires a great deal of patience.

I learned a lot more about cooking. I joined a monthly fruit and vegetable CSA this summer and went to farmer's markets. I tried new things. The winners were Medjool dates, leeks, shallots, Jeruselum artichokes, fingerling potatoes and different peppers (roasted a variety of them). Did not enjoy figs, pomegranates and a variety of greens (i froze and put in soups instead). I will continue to frequent farmer's markets in the future. Since I had such a bounty I had to learn the best ways to preserve for this winter. I have also been studying how to use agave as a sweetener and incorporate more flax meal into our diet. Was given butternut squash (not fond of squashes) and, so far, made brownies with it that was delicious. Made a puree of the squash and put in the freezer to try with other recipes I have collected. Have been collecting and trying recipes of different compotes that are naturally sweetened or used natural sugar free sweetners. A simple thing yet turns out so elegant! Next on the list is to study and incorporate chia seeds in diet. I currently use them in breakfast parfaits and homemade granola bars...

Like SteveinMN, I thought DH and I would be at each others throats. It turns out this forced isolation has made us even closer.

My life has changed very little, but I have found that easy, unlimited grocery delivery combined with (generally) one meal a day results in storage issues and spoilage. That should have been obvious. At any rate, I'm well-stocked.

I learned that very few of the sauces/seasonings that we buy are necessary. (Ex: sloppy joe sauce, teriyaki sauce, taco seasoning)

They can be made very easily with the basic grade ingredients of oil, vinegar, tomato sauce, spices, etc.

Thread Information