Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: cat problem/question

They are beautiful!

Pretty babies!

Not sure if it's much help but I have concluded that dogs should be regarded as the average 2 year old child. Once I got my head around that - a lot of things were easier to do and understand about behaviour.

Is there a comparable age for cats' behaviour that will help guide an owner's actions and understanding?

Small children shrink when in new and strange situations, resist control but when, finally feeling safe, love to be cuddled, enjoy toys and playtime. Look forward to that.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

They spent most of the night out checking out their new surroundings while we were in bed. Apparently they even came upstairs and found the food we had put down in the office when we first brought them home. Today SO is going to put the food just outside the kitchen. This will give them a choice of eating it within view of us 25 feet away or waiting until we go to bed to eat. This may take a day or two but I’m betting that Eleanor, the braver one, will take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Not sure if it's much help but I have concluded that dogs should be regarded as the average 2 year old child. Once I got my head around that - a lot of things were easier to do and understand about behaviour.

Is there a comparable age for cats' behaviour that will help guide an owner's actions and understanding?

Small children shrink when in new and strange situations, resist control but when, finally feeling safe, love to be cuddled, enjoy toys and playtime. Look forward to that.
    Razz: That is an interesting question. My guys seem to be some strange cross between willful toddlers (with superior jumping skills) and grouchy old men who believe themselves to be royalty. I know the dog I walk is supposed to be comparable to a 2.5 year-old, but as someone who has never had children, that does not help me any more than if you told me a toddler had the intelligence of a Shih-Tzu.

JP: Did you name them, or did they already have well-established names?

Put them in a small room with food and litter box. Keep the door closed. go in and visit with them and talk to them each day. Keep them there for 2 weeks so they acclimate to your voices and smells. (sit on the floor if you can so they can approach but you'll look smaller).

They will come out for you in their own time.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post

hah We always say bulldogs are toddlers in fur suits. And they are like toddlers because they’re stubborn, willful, self-centered, and very loving and adoring.

As far as an age for cats, some of my cats seem like pre-teen girls. They definitely have their own life and interests, but if you’re interesting enough to them they will hang out with you.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-23-20 at 7:35pm.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    JP: Did you name them, or did they already have well-established names?
    The shelter named them Boston and Chicago. We have changed their names to Eleanor and Michelle. They just don’t seem suited to being named after two rough and tumble cities. Maybe if they had been named Charlotte and Savanaugh we would have kept those names.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Put them in a small room with food and litter box. Keep the door closed. go in and visit with them and talk to them each day. Keep them there for 2 weeks so they acclimate to your voices and smells. (sit on the floor if you can so they can approach but you'll look smaller).

They will come out for you in their own time.
    Yes. This is the plan. I’ve attached a long rope to the cabinet door that leads to their hiding space. When they come out into the kitchen for dinner this evening we will close the door from the living room. Then if they let us we’ll move them to my office. If they won’t let us do that we’ll move the rope and security camera from the kitchen to the office door and tonight when they go there looking for more food we’ll close the office door from the bedroom.

They will have four days before I have to work again to start getting used to us and the room. And then starting Monday they can get used to spending the day sharing space with me as I work.

Thread Information