Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy solstice

Cloudy here. Again.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Cloudy and raining in S. Ontario so no viewing.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Hi razz,

I did some cleaning up and out ahead of time.

Got up early to restart the woodstove from the coals and light candles around the house. then I spent some time journaling, reflecting on the past year and focusing on my hopes for the new one. I went outside to give thanks at the moment and enjoyed stepping back in to the warm, lighted embrace of my home to start my year.

I kept the candles all day - which was nice because it was overcast and rainy here too. Still managed to have an outside fire, but just a small one for me, not a big bonfire. I tossed some things into it - literally and metaphorically - that I’m ready to let go of.

I usually fast through the long night, but switched to the short day this year for reasons, then had a lovely dinner with Dh after sundown. We had some wine in front of the fire and dreamed about the coming year and our future.

Chicken Lady, what a wonderful celebration!

It was a clear night here and the conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter was quite visible. Not exactly as stunning as the news portended but interesting. Drank a very dark beer.

We had beautiful warm sunny clear weather the past couple of days. We had wood with fires two nights in a row, our first of the winter season. Wood fires seem appropriate for solstice night.

We have a gas fireplace in our Hermann house which I like because it’s so easy, but they’re not the same as wood fires.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I read a review over the weekend for a book called, "The Return of the Light, Twelve Tales from Around the World for the Winter Solstice," and it looked pretty interesting. A few years ago I read a (so good) fantasy book called, "The Snow Child." I love reading fiction tales from northern lands.

I guess I love me some wintery, snowy, cold and dark books. Got any to recommend?
    The Snow Child is on my list - perhaps on a recommendation from you. The Shining is always a good one, and I think The Boy Who Drew Monsters would also qualify if I'm recalling it correctly.

KayLR: I was just going through my lists of books I've read by year, and I came across a couple more titles, both horror:
    The Winter People - Jennifer McMahon
    The Ice Twins - S.K. Tremayne

Thread Information