Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laundry detergent not in a bottle

Laundry detergent not in a bottle

Here’s something that’s working well for us and the environment - laundry detergent sheets that come in a box, in place of laundry detergent that’s liquid or powder. The powder never worked well for me as I use cold water and it doesn’t always dissolve completely.

It was a total of about $20 for two boxes. Each box has 57 sheets. I tear the sheet in half because half of the sheet does well with one load of laundry. So the cost is 20 for 228 loads of laundry. This will last us about 18 months.

It dissolves immediately in the water. These are on Amazon. No more plastic laundry bottles to throw out.

It was the most affordable one without fragrance. I can’t tolerate a lot of fragrances.

Hopefully this link works:

https://www.amazon.com/ECOSNextTM-Li...bap_m_rp_75_sc

I've seen those advertised! Glad to get a good review!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Hunh, interesting.

I am annoyed with having to buy liquid detergent because it’s next to impossible to find powdered detergent anymore at my grocery store. I pay a lot of money for water, not. Don’t like that. And I knew if I posted something here you all would all be jumping on me about why I don’t make my own powdered laundry detergent but I don’t want to.

[QUOTE=Tammy;370661]Here’s something that’s working well for us and the environment - laundry detergent sheets that come in a box, in place of laundry detergent that’s liquid or powder. The powder never worked well for me as I use cold water and it doesn’t always dissolve completely.

It was a total of about $20 for two boxes. Each box has 57 sheets. I tear the sheet in half because half of the sheet does well with one load of laundry. So the cost is 20 for 228 loads of laundry. This will last us about 18 months.

It dissolves immediately in the water. These are on Amazon. No more plastic laundry bottles to throw out.

It was the most affordable one without fragrance. I can’t tolerate a lot of fragrances.

----------------

You don't do much laundry?? That seems very expensive to me.

9 cents a load doesn't sound expensive to me.

I could probably do half a sheet, too, as I have a small stackable.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

We do about 3 loads a week. $20 for 18 months of detergent doesn’t seem expensive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    We do about 3 loads a week. $20 for 18 months of detergent doesn’t seem expensive to me.
    I don't know how you get by with just 3 loads a week. We have whites, towels, sheets, delicates plus heavier (jeans, pants) and sometimes blankets, etc. There are 2 of us and we do about 6-8 loads per week. Interesting how lives vary.

I was not aware of this detergent option. I have been making my own with Sunlight bar, washing soda and borax as it seemed ridiculous to be hauling large containers of water with some detergent added never mind the cost of plastic and transport. While I have a supply of the ingredients now, the washing soda is hard to find.
    Wonder how long it will take consumers to switch - Walmart to make it readily available in their stores which seems to be the usual route to marketing changes?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I don't know how you get by with just 3 loads a week. We have whites, towels, sheets, delicates plus heavier (jeans, pants) and sometimes blankets, etc. There are 2 of us and we do about 6-8 loads per week. Interesting how lives vary.
    I'm like Tammy--I do about 3-4 loads a week. Whites, regular clothes, and towels. Occasionally something big. But we don't wash towels every time we use them. Most of the time, the towels are clean after you get out of the shower. I also get a couple of wearings out of my clothes, especially in the winter when I'm inside most of the time.

My sister and I had this very conversation recently. She does 7 loads a week for two people and dries all in the dryer. It all makes rational sense to her.

I, single person, do a load of linens including towels, sheets etc plus one regular load of everything else weekly and one gentle load every other week. Dog's bed covering gets done every couple of months. That is it.
    I wear my tops twice in winter, once in summer and have a variety but nothing bulky so making up a full load governs how often I do a load. I focus on not wasting water and energy as a simple liver. I air dry everything except fleecy winter bed sheets.

It is funny how different our choices may be.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information