Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rita Hart

Rita Hart

I see Rita Hart has submitted a complaint asking the House to overturn an election she lost to a Republican by six votes. Is this one of those “threats to our democracy” I keep hearing about?

I suppose that depends on the details...

Tight races such as that are the reason we must remain vigilant to voting fraud. I know that fraud is rare and likely has no impact on national races but I'm not so sure about local races for elected office or tax levies, or even congressional races.

The easier we make it to cast a ballot the more likely it is that these tight races may be usurped.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Before DT, we rarely had complaints about voter fraud. Now, because of him, people lament ad nauseam. Makes a person wonder what else unnecessarily will constantly be complained about because of his (many times ridiculous) claims. His presidency caused problems that may never go away....

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Before DT, we rarely had complaints about voter fraud. Now, because of him, people lament ad nauseam. Makes a person wonder what else unnecessarily will constantly be complained about because of his (many times ridiculous) claims. His presidency caused problems that may never go away....
    Yes, one of those problems and annoyances being endless carping about Donald Trump

I can imagine that any elections results from a large population would have a small and usually inconsequential margin of error that may or may not be related to any voter fraud. I'd hardly call it a threat to democracy.

The easier we make it to vote, the larger the turnout and the more representative the vote will be of the will of the people. There obviously has to be security safeguards with any voting system and I don't know that one is any more secure than another without some sort of evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    The easier we make it to vote, the larger the turnout ....

... of poor people, people of color, single Moms, and that sort of riff-raff. Can't have that....

Pretty pathetic that some don’t want everyone to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Pretty pathetic that some don’t want everyone to vote.
    I want eligible people to vote appropriately according to law. I don’t want “everyone “to vote because “everyone “ is not eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I want eligible people to vote appropriately according to law. I don’t want “everyone “to vote because “everyone “ is not eligible.
    I think what we're missing in this discussion is that it would only take a handful of fraudulent votes to turn the race in question into a win for the Democrats. It's a perfect opportunity to infer that anyone in favor of enforcing election rules is a racist or sexist or outright social troglodyte. It seems to be normal behavior for many so we shouldn't take it personally.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information