Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So.....no signature, no bill.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

So.....no signature, no bill.

What's your take on this?

I'm afraid that many Americans upon discovering the truth of the America I have known will not be as civil and decent about it as I have been. I see utter mayhem and unrest around the corner, much deeper and much more nationwide than during this Summer's National Police Brutality IS Real Realization(s). I'm hoping for the best but of course we have been stocking up on basics just in case and have a place to run to should it come to that (in Sonora with SO's family).

I know there are those here who consider me the very definition of over the top. Fair enough. As an American with functioning brain cells, I understand that this situation is the very definition of over the top. It's about self protection now until there is a signature on a bill to kick the can down the road once more.

And it's Christmas Eve, for crying out loud! I wish I could be more positive and optimistic! Does anyone see any reason to be, given the givens of this situation? Rob

Yppej
    I would rather $2000 than $600 for people in need even if it takes awhile longer. Trump is thinking of what he can run on in 2024 but he still has a point.

Hey, my wife served me with divorce papers on Christmas Eve, this is nothing :-)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Hey, my wife served me with divorce papers on Christmas Eve, this is nothing :-)
    I'd agree the timing sucks.....sorry this happened, bae. Rob

Enough bad memories of Christmas, this is nothing. So Trump doesn't want to sign it, then there is a work around.

I see he decided to sign it in the end after maximizing the agitation. He seems to me to be in an “apre moi le deluge” mood.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    He seems to me to be in an “apre moi le deluge” mood.
    Absolutely, and he's reveling in it.

I hear there is going to be a vote on the $2k/pp.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am glad for those who truly are in need. They can come back and propose more later. I have no idea what it would be like to be like to be unemployed these days, but I believe there are certain service jobs that are just not coming back in the foreseeable future and people need to readjust their ambitions or train for different work.

I suppose the spending package also included quite a few pet projects that have nothing to do with Covid. I have wondered if the new regime will have any intention of reducing debt or if they will just assume, like the GOP, that they can print up more new money without consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    ...and people need to readjust their ambitions or train for different work.
    Like people aren't trying to do this already?

The warehouse I work at now is still hiring. Very physical work and they will be cutting back their holiday bonus pay at the end of the year down to under $15.00/hour, but - hey - time to "readjust ambitions" or get different "training" because it's such an easy thing to do and ageism, sexism, racism, etc. no longer exists in the U.S. workforce.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I am glad for those who truly are in need. They can come back and propose more later. I have no idea what it would be like to be like to be unemployed these days, but I believe there are certain service jobs that are just not coming back in the foreseeable future and people need to readjust their ambitions or train for different work.
    I'm so glad at least ONE of my kids adhered to my "do as I say, not as I do" financial practices. The restaurant worker son who was furloughed in April, then brought back in July, then furloughed again in September managed to apply for (and get) restaurant worker grants and save all the money he could with the federal stimulus package and he now STILL has enough to get him through to spring. And the new stimulus will be icing on the cake. He has no debt, a very small apartment in downtown Burlington ($875/month), and no car. So he has rent, cable and utilities and that's it.

But he sees the writing on the wall, and so he is considering either a) going full steam ahead with his music or b) going to community college to start a new career at age 36 in psychology or social services. He will only go back to the restaurant industry in order to pay bills.

This is tough. Every day I read about a new business shuttering here in Vermont. Today it was an innovative culinary school. DS's former boss actually posted a GoFundMe campaign to get them through mid-2021 and they raised $25k. The local "nice" restaurant started a pizza truck. People will have to be creative and take risks to get over this.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information