Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Smallest Space Lived in Happily

Every had great points. My 2 dogs are 5lbs each and are pad trained. Here if you want a small yard you have your own entrance and I need a security building to feel safe. I am fine with a balcony. I just haven’t lived in 500 sq ft before. At 66 I would never live with another man. I have been doing everything for the last 23 years. I am done being someone’s maid. I have time to think about it because I probably won’t get the house on the market until April. I want all his junk gone and he has been packing for 3 days still not done with his office and half of our bedroom. The garage, shed and partial dirt basement is full of his junk. Chrisgo, it’s amazing that you are living in such a small space with 3 dogs.

Thanks IL about the Airbnb tip. My other 2 condos had rules about number of rentals allowed. The really nice building I doubt would allow that as the condos near the top cost close to 900k. By the 9th floor I cannot even afford a studio. The price increases by size and how high up because of the views.

I live in a small one BR condo I rent. 12 years. It was good until I started diving. My gear takes over the place. Now I work from home and the desk is in the LR. It works and it’s cheap for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    WHY would you want two freakin’ toilets to clean?
    Two bathrooms was a requirement for my house. Part of that is because three bedrooms (and the possibility to create more) can house enough people to make a second bathroom worthwhile. But part of it also is having a second bathroom when something happens to the first (fixture failure, painting, etc.). But that falls into the "you pay for it no matter how little you use it" factor. As a single person, I'm hardly ever using both baths at the same time.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Oh TT, I'm so sorry to hear this. 2020, the gift that keeps on giving - ugh.
    Before I married DH I was living in a 860ft house. 2bd 1ba and the best floorplan ever. I so hated selling that house. I really contemplated keeping it as a rental. Back at that time I was still at the PD and I hate to say it.... somebody was always going through a divorce or separation and needed a place. I knew I could keep it rented and to people I could trust. But alas, sold it. It was the perfect size for my son and I along with a large German Shepherd and a cat. I would go back to that size in a heartbeat.
    Keeping an eye on downsizing in the future I am always shopping Zillow just to see what is out there. I worry about Condo's taking dogs because I doubt I will ever have one much less than 70lbs. I also like living up but it is so nice to just open a slider to let the dogs out.

I wouldn't get a second bedroom just for guests - yea if living with someone full time then yes. If just having a guest occasionally add a futon as a second sofa, and leave it at that, unfold it if there is a need. A second bedroom can be an office if you think you need one (though having worked from home 9 months of pandemic, I personally can't imagine ever needing one even if I had an actual work from home job).
    Trees don't grow on money

I used to use my office daily when teaching. Now I rarely use it and only if I have private work. I can easily get rid of my computer and desk and use my laptop.

TT, I imagine 500 sq ft, if arranged right AND if you don’t have “stuff intensive” hobbies- like diving or quilting- would probably feel fine, especially if you have a view.

Part of why my place is a tight fit is that I am a quilter and I have 2 towers of boxes of fabric!

So sorry to hear this news, what a lousy surprise to end a lousy year.

I lived in a 400 foot condo in Chicago that had a doorman, and liked it very much because one wall was a view of the city and it was on the 7th floor, so it was a good view. But I did not like the whole going down corridors to get to my place and would have different needs now. I lived with one other person in an 800 square foot house but that was SC and we had a deck and a screened porch, which helped alot.

I did not like the studio-ness of the condo, where it was one room only. It felt weird, never to be able to go into a different room.

WE have always had big dogs, so I would need a townhouse with a yard, but going forward, I would not have any more big dogs--we will go small only from now on so that we can move into something easier if need be. So it sounds like you have the dog situation figured out really well.

If he is out, I hope you can hunker down until April to buy something? Let the dust settle a little? We just made a housing purchase feeling like there was a gun to our head and it's not a good thing, I realize now, and not conducive to a the decisions we would have made without the gun to our head. So maybe stay put for 6 months and not be in shock when you make your decision? (Speaking from recent bad experiences here.) Give yourself a break, and don't make any housing changes for 6 months?

I lived in a converted double garage for several months. One big space plus a bathroom. There was a park and open spaces near-by so it was ok but not comfortable. I'd probably have to go twice that size to feel like home during Covid and winter time.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Good lord girl, WHY would you want two freakin’ toilets to clean?

If single, no, count me out of the two toilet club.
    I agree that two bathrooms is unnecessary. I have one for 2 full time and 1 near-full-time people. The only inconvenience is worrying about other people's "needs" if you are occupying it for a long time. I've considered buying a boat commode and putting it in our outdoor shower enclosure for emergencies.

I think 2 bathrooms is a nice-to-have, but what REALLY annoys me is the perceived need that I see on HGTV all the time for a) a bathroom for every bedroom plus one on the main floor and b) two sinks in the master bath. I have NEVER brushed my teeth in a bathroom at the same time with DH. I just don't get it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information