Page 2 of 58 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Smallest Space Lived in Happily

Ugh, so sorry TT. Well, you will make a lovely living environment wherever you end up.

For me, my single living idea envisioned a first floor unit where I could walk directly outdoors from my own unit to at least a patio if not a patio and a yard. Realistically, with two dogs, that’s what I would want anyway.

When I bought a condo a few months ago, The concept of negotiating with condo association rules was foreign to me, so I’m glad our friend and real estate agent had lots of experience with it. Like you, my main concern was any dog restrictions. While I’m knew people in the building had dogs, and I saw that some had large-ish dogs, most of those dogs were quite small. I wanted to make that they didn’t have a size restriction on dogs. I didn’t really care about any other rules or regulations because I knew I would abide by them.

Anyway, in my state the law calls for me to make an offer and once it was accepted I had five days to review the condo association rules to approve them for the sale to go through. That was a pain because they didn’t give me the formal document until 12 hours before the actual closing. As it turns out it was all fine because they had “unofficial “rules and regs of the condo association which accurately describes their current pet limitation which is two pets per unit. And that is perfectly fine for me. I will seldom have dogs there but when I do it could be as many as two.

But you were smart to write that into your offer to buy, that is contingent on condo rules allowing two dogs.

My condo was just under a thousand square feet, and it was perfectly adequate.
    Definitely go with the one that makes your heart sing.

TT:
    I don't envy anyone going through divorce, but I certainly wish you well with the changes that are coming your way.

The discussion got around to your prized dining room table. I would hope that you have capable legal representation, and the eventual divorce settlement would include compensation for all the personal property you may be leaving behind.

If I was considering downsizing, a major consideration for me would be walkability. Is there a convenient walking route to a pleasant spot that is dog-friendly? I note that in some cities and towns, dogs are not allowed in parks... except for "dog parks". Like Steve in MN, my best days as an apartment dweller were in a vibrant neighborhood. I took interesting walks in all seasons. I could enjoy the neighborhood, but never needed to find a parking spot!

Wow bad, I'm sorry, happens of course, but really sucks.

The smallest I've ever lived in was a studio apartment. One was a larger size studio for sure, the other not so much, of the two studios I lived in. I could not possibly tell you the square footage, I've never seen that listed on a rental agreement. The larger studio was a security building. In many ways I prefer the one bedroom I live in now as just one room as with a studio does get kinda claustrophobic even more if it's smallish, hey I get something out of being able to change rooms. Now it's a 1 story 1 bedroom apartment that opens up to the outside not a security building, but I have no shared hallways for covid spread (just shared walls), so that's definitely a plus these days, very covid-safe. It feels like a mini-house this 1 story arrangement, it helps I have quiet neighbors - for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    For me, my single living idea envisioned a first floor unit where I could walk directly outdoors from my own unit to at least a patio if not a patio and a yard.
    nice! I like those types of condos too.
    Trees don't grow on money

Terry: I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I don't have much advice on the housing, but I think the fact that you are referring to one of the condos as the nicer one is telling.

Take as much time as you need, but--as I always say--Go with your instincts.
    (What is it about holidays and breakups, anyway?)

My condo was one story, open to a patio on one side, and a common walkway on the other. It was very pleasant.

I have one additional thought to add. An extra bedroom does give you more flexibility, and in recent years, I've felt some regret that our one bedroom house doesn't lend itself to more flexible living arrangements. If you can imagine a scenario where you would want a child, sibling or dear friend to stay with you while either you or they were recuperating from an illness or injury for example, then an extra bedroom would come in handy and the couch might not be totally satisfactory.

If you have a future partner, it’s nice to have two bedrooms. It’s really too soon to talk about this I know, but if you’re buying, we’re looking at many years into the future.

Since getting covid, SO and I have decided to use our second bedroom for him. Our sleeping hours are unpredictable (especially mine) and when I can get good sleep it’s great to not be disturbed by his movements. Every time he rolled over in bed I woke up.

Now that we’re settled in with our separate bedrooms we wonder why we didn’t do it sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Now that we’re settled in with our separate bedrooms we wonder why we didn’t do it sooner.
    I can't tell you how many times I've heard this. I've never been a communal sleeper, so it doesn't surprise me.

I would not limit myself to one bedroom if there would be two people occupying the unit.

But single people have to be very careful about spinning that “what if “scenario to justify a second bedroom. That second bedroom is expensive in real estate. You’re paying for that second bedroom every day of your life regardless if anyone is really using it or not. Even if you pay cash for the place, you’re paying more in taxes and condo fees for a second bedroom.

Thread Information