Page 3 of 58 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Smallest Space Lived in Happily

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would not limit myself to one bedroom if there would be two people occupying the unit.

But single people have to be very careful about spinning that “what if “scenario to justify a second bedroom. That second bedroom is expensive in real estate. You’re paying for that second bedroom every day of your life regardless if anyone is really using it or not. Even if you pay cash for the place, you’re paying more in taxes and condo fees for a second bedroom.
    Even if I downsize, I would prefer three bedrooms to two, two baths to one--but that's me. Two bedrooms, two baths would probably be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would not limit myself to one bedroom if there would be two people occupying the unit.

But single people have to be very careful about spinning that “what if “scenario to justify a second bedroom. That second bedroom is expensive in real estate. You’re paying for that second bedroom every day of your life regardless if anyone is really using it or not. Even if you pay cash for the place, you’re paying more in taxes and condo fees for a second bedroom.
    Well said, IL. There is always a possible imagined need. If the need becomes an actual, then adjust the reality. One cannot plan for all eventualities that might occur. A single BR unit is always a valuable investment.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Terry, I'm so sorry!! No advice - never lived in town, or in anything other than a stand alone house, and downsizing for me would be a nightmare - but I love a view! I'd go for the nice one with the view!

I can afford to indulge my imaginings, since I would realize a tremendous tax reduction (around 5K a year) should I move. I'd rather have the room/flexibility. I'm using all three bedrooms now.

I agree that any well-situated real estate is a good investment.

Sorry to hear TT!

Had this discussion recently because of COVID I am sure. Think the first thing would be to find the place that has the most to do and then what serves your purpose or you enjoy the most. Sounds like both places would meet your needs.

Terry, so sorry to hear this. Sounds like you really prefer one to the other.

When the time comes... so far I'm thinking 2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, kitchen opens up into the living room with maybe a small side room off the living room for - whatever. (I actually just described the double-wide I used to live in, except that it had 3 bedrooms. LOL) I grew up in a very large family with 1 bathroom, so I know it is doable. Plus I'm a firm believer in the less space to clean, the better! Definitely want outside area - maybe a patio and small yard. Minimal maintenance.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Even if I downsize, I would prefer three bedrooms to two, two baths to one--but that's me. Two bedrooms, two baths would probably be fine.
    Good lord girl, WHY would you want two freakin’ toilets to clean?

If single, no, count me out of the two toilet club.

Sorry for your situation, TT.

I’d go with the place that makes your heart sing. That’s how I’ve chosen my last several homes- ranging in size from 1800 sq ft (3 people, no pets) to 386 sq ft- current, just me, plus 3 cocker spaniels. Along the way, 1200/3 bedroom/2 bath house, and 600/1/1 apartment (included 6x6 inside storage closet).

Since I added dogs to my life 26 years ago, outside access is important. Natural light is also very important to me. The 600 sq ft apartment I lived in for 10 years was a second floor, garden apartment and a corner unit, so it had 2 extra windows. The landscaping was lovely and it was like living in a tree house. The only reason I moved was that the 30 yr loan and restriction to “seniors” and below market rate rent was ending. My rent was $1200. when I moved out. A year later, that unit was $1900, no idea what it is now.

My current 386 sq ft is a tight fit, especially with 3 dogs. The only things that make it work are a very large covered deck that we use nearly year round, a decent sized grassy backyard and an 8x10 storage shed.... Well, and my current propensity to get rid of things!

As a Condo buyer in my city, one thing I would look for if it’s a problem in your city is Airbnb rentals, short term rentals. I don’t want to live in a building where there’s a lot of Airbnb‘s in fact I don’t want to live in a building where there’s any at all.

My condo building does not allow any rentals for units purchased three years ago and prior to that date. That’s a relief for me. I see the problems that a building with 50% Airbnb rentals bring to our neighborhood

. We’ve been working with police department and our alderman and the management company for six months because their tenants are crappy. It is a place for family reunions and not only are they not honoring any kind of restriction about meeting in large groups, they scream and yell in the street, sell drugs, etc.

Thread Information