Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Resolutions

I do a "green" birding year every year, identifying as many species as possible without driving or using public transportation. So mostly by bike or walking from home, or the home bird feeder. Last year was sketchy due to Covid and I plan to do better this year.

Some of my routine doctor appointments, like eye and dentist were easy to procrastinate in 2020. I hope to get current, but will wait at least until the big holiday covid spikes are over.

I have a small weight set and hope to improve upper body conditioning. I've gotten a little wimpy.

I like to do at least one or two challenging non-fiction read during the dark winter. Past years included Leonardo Da Vinci and George Grinnell biographies, "Sapiens", and "Death and Life of the Great Lakes". This has been a good year for light fiction and I hope to do better (as soon as I finish my page burning horror fiction).

Since I got a finger wag from my doctor at the beginning of December and told to lose my "Covid 19lbs" because I was pre diabetic and have a fatty liver..... I'm getting back into the routines I let drop when we went into lockdown. With the exception of every morning in the pool because the gym is still closed.
    Eat clean and low carb MOST of the time
    One hour of exercise every day without excuse (I ordered a scale since the gym is closed and a new fitbit)
    Drink more water, drink less wine (until my 19 is gone and my numbers bounce back)
    Less screen time - any screen - any time (we have already agreed to media free Thursdays - with the exception of music, all devices are turned off)
    Return to volunteering as soon as it is safe (er) to do so
    Dedicate at least one hour a day to being creative with either a pen, pencil or paint

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Although this place is a real challenge to garden in...as long as I am here, I am going to continue to grow everything I can. To that end, I am collecting milk jugs for winter sowing seeds, setting up grow lights, starting seeds indoors etc. Rogar mentioned birding but I have never lived in a place with so few birds. I am hoping that by planting more natives and perennials, I might actually see something besides crows. I do plan to cut back on meat by half (maybe more) and also plan to cut back on alcohol. In reality though, it is hard to see the future given present circumstances so I am not going to make too many extracurricular or travel plans and set myself up for disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    RR my resolutions are more like a to do list also. Travel being iffy a lot of mine for next year revolve around getting things done around the house.
    Yes, I too have plenty of home projects waiting in the wings, and even if travel becomes a possibility, we still will spend far more time at home than anywhere else.

Read spiritual texts and wisdom from classic and modern authors daily
    since I'm quoting the obscurest possible authors on here, what are some authors or books? Just curious about interesting writings.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    since I'm quoting the obscurest possible authors on here, what are some authors or books? Just curious about interesting writings.

Oh, gosh. There are hundreds on this particular site. They range from Epictetus to Brene Brown. Plus, I typically rely on my own which include Benjamin Franklin to Thich Nhat Hanh to Anne Frank.

But here is the site, and I hope you can get there without providing personal information. https://www.optimize.me/philosophersnotes/the-books/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Resolution 1: Start The Downsize
    Resolution 2: Lose the COVID 15#
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Resolution 1: Start The Downsize
    Resolution 2: Lose the COVID 15#
    Me too, me too!

A year is a long time for me, and I always do better with fresh starts, so I tend to set my goals at the quarters and cross quarters. The new year starts at solstice with some overview planning of big goals, but the first dozenish days are the holiday season, so I just try to putter, relax, and focus on celebrations, friends, and family. That has been pretty low key this year.

that leaves me with five weeks for goals and projects.

besides some big work deadlines, this is the season for planning and ordering on the farm - this year that has included some native trees and will soon include chicks and seeds. I’ve laid out a new herb bed, want to treat myself to a rosebush this year, and plan to make some ceramic bed markers.

on the personal improvement front, I want to get back to journaling, ride my exercise bike 45 minutes (most) days, and spend at least a few minutes every day addressing the disorder in my house beyond the day to day laundry/dishes/cleaning/pick up.

february 4 I get to start again.

I don’t have resolutions, I just have a list of Projects to complete while Covid is holding us down.

These must be done:

1. Finish cleaning out my book collection. Estimated time is 4 to 6 weeks.
    2. Clean and organize flower show stuff. Estimated time: 2 to 3 days
    3. Remove all “my” stuff from our third floor so that when we move, I have nothing to handle. Estimated time: 2 to 3 days.

These should be done, But may not be completed in entirety:

1. I have a slew of digital problems and concerns having to do with tablet syncing, password management, email that don’t work, etc.,

2. For our Neighborhood association, setting up a temporary archive system for operational documents.

3. Decor projects such as reupholstering a day bad, painting a lampshade, for my condo.

4. This probably will not get done, but I am supposed to be rewriting bylaws for our Iris society.

Thread Information