Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Relationship advice?

Feelings surrounding money and household contributions are key to making it work. The actual contributions as measured in various ways are less important.

I always made more money than DH, a lot more money in many years. But we moved because of my job so that was part of his sacrifice. When we got married I had earning potential and he had significant financial assets, so there was “ equality” there of sorts, for those keeping score.

As the years went by his financial contribution to our household was extraordinary because he can build anything, fix anything ( well, except for our leaking roof. That was a ball buster.) And, he is tireless in doing it.

We threw our finances together 30 years ago when we first got married and so everything, or most things anyway, are in joint accounts. I have individual IRAs as does he. I have credit cards in my name only, but they’re paid from our joint checking account.

Anyway, about the househusband thing —I distinctly remember what a relief it was when he quit his corporate job which required 10 hours of work each day with little to no vacation and on call in the winter time. That was stressful.He then started working for himself and while he still worked 10 hour days, it was by choice. He could take a Friday afternoon off if he chose to do that. He could run an errand or two for our household, if necessary. The entire burden of our household was not on me when he quit the corporate job, and that was nice.

I made slightly more than my partner, and I've long paid my own way--both of which might have bothered the "wrong" man. I've figuratively had to arm-wrestle dates for the check--which would have been a red flag if any of them had put up more than a token objection. I've never been comfortable with "set in stone" gender roles.

Thread Information