Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: January frugals

January frugals

Happy New Year, everyone! I'm trying to up my frugal game (or at least be IN the game!) this coming year, so I thought I'd start the thread for the month. Yesterday I washed two loads of laundry and hung most of the stuff in the basement, so only needed one short dryer load. This morning, the hanging clothes were mostly dry, so I stuffed them in the dryer for about 5 minutes and they were fine. I don't like to leave things hang long in the basement when it's damp, lest they get musty smelling. Used up some zucchini that was on its last legs for zoodles, which we added to two boneless chicken thighs, a jar of red peppers, cream, and seasonings. A really tasty meal for three, for very little cost, and not a whole lot of effort. And we had three pots of coffee using two pots worth of grounds. I love coffee. . .

With DD's help, one Christmas towel that we don't use has become two hand-towels and a pot holder, which we will use (next year). I have a Halloween bath towel that will get the same treatment, as soon as I find it! That's all I have so far this year!

I vacillate between the pros and cons of owning vs renting. We currently own. Our sewer/water drain was mostly clogged the last few days.

We spent those 3 days using less water to avoid to much overflow in the backyard, until our son could get here to fix it. He has all the tools etc for anything related to houses and cars.

We paid him, and we also fed him lunch and I cut my grandson’s hair. First cut since June, he said. All outdoors and masked, as Phoenix has great weather for all this, but we also are the third worst USA city for covid right now.

Win-win, as it saved us about 400 over what a stranger would have charged. And we know our son does quality work.

Yppej
    I went to Big Lots and got laundry detergent as they have the best price in my area, as well as a couple other items.

I saved a lot of money during the pandemic. With the divorce it’s helpful.

Yppej
    To keep my outdated phone semiaccurate until I get a new one I manually set the date to 2010 since that year the days of the month fell on the same days of the week as 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    To keep my outdated phone semiaccurate until I get a new one I manually set the date to 2010 since that year the days of the month fell on the same days of the week as 2021.
    Hey now, that’s an interesting hack.

I had two Ralph Lauren floral pillow cases that I got at a thrift shop, and the window at the new house has shutters on the bottom, and a tension rod on the top. I cut a slit at the top of both pillowcases and hung them from the rod as cafe curtains. They are the right length and cover the window for privacy.

Six years ago we painted the house in Michigan and I tried a couple of different gallons of paint before I hit the right color. I saved them and I am using them to repaint the painted floors in this new house.

So glad to use up old paint. Brought several cans with us and will be able to use all of it.

I haven't been to a grocery (or any) store since 12/23. Hubster did go get bacon and ketchup Thursday but that's it. And I won't need to go this week either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I had two Ralph Lauren floral pillow cases that I got at a thrift shop, and the window at the new house has shutters on the bottom, and a tension rod on the top. I cut a slit at the top of both pillowcases and hung them from the rod as cafe curtains. They are the right length and cover the window for privacy.

Six years ago we painted the house in Michigan and I tried a couple of different gallons of paint before I hit the right color. I saved them and I am using them to repaint the painted floors in this new house.

So glad to use up old paint. Brought several cans with us and will be able to use all of it.
    That's a good one, Tybee. It must have been tempting not to bring them with you, but decent paint is expensive.

Yppej
    My son gave me a couple more breathable masks, so I only landed up wearing the one I pricked holes in once. Still after maybe 10 minutes my face starts to feel hot and itchy under the mask. I continue to try home remedies for eczema and it is getting slightly better.

I found a new gas station on my way home from work with good prices.

Many home improvement projects are tempting me but DS has the house too messy to get contractors over. Who knew clutter could have a benefit? One issue is the hot water is coming out very rusty in the bathroom. Has anyone done a DIY fix for this? I can't see the condition of the pipes since they are encased in insulation but neither they nor the hot water heater are leaking. I am brushing my teeth in the kitchen sink as I don't want to ingest the dirty water.

Thread Information