Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: January frugals

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    That's a good one, Tybee. It must have been tempting not to bring them with you, but decent paint is expensive.
    DH was giddy this week because he took 7 gallons of primer paint from the alley where our neighbor left it. This neighbor was cleaning out his house before moving.

$210 worth of paint that is now going on the walls of my condo. Score!

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I hate the taste of my tap water. What I do is put it in a glass jug in the fridge and let it get really cold. That totally improves the taste.
    DW fills a jug with tap water and lets it sit for a couple of days before she waters our plants with it. She sayd it lets the chlorine in the water off-gas. That taste has never been obvious to me in tap water, but it's harmless to do and, perhaps, other minerals are precipitating to the bottom of the jug.

We do have a filter on the kitchen faucet for drinking and cooking water. I notice our pots and pans don't have the same issue with our moderately-hard water that other fixtures in the house have. The only time I buy water is when I'm pickling food; using distilled water reduces some variables that can adversely affect the fermentation.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    DW fills a jug with tap water and lets it sit for a couple of days before she waters our plants with it. She sayd it lets the chlorine in the water off-gas. That taste has never been obvious to me in tap water, but it's harmless to do and, perhaps, other minerals are precipitating to the bottom of the jug.

We do have a filter on the kitchen faucet for drinking and cooking water. I notice our pots and pans don't have the same issue with our moderately-hard water that other fixtures in the house have. The only time I buy water is when I'm pickling food; using distilled water reduces some variables that can adversely affect the fermentation.
    DH does the same for water for our house plants.

About the $210 worth of paint —it’s wonderful because that paint is not sitting around our property waiting for its use down the road. It was used immediately. That’s what makes it great. But even then, that just covers the kitchen and the bedroom and a little bit of the living room it’s not covering the entire condo.

That’s great that it was a color you wanted. Lots of ugly paint in the world.

That is a really good frugal find, IL.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That’s great that it was a color you wanted. Lots of ugly paint in the world.
    It is primer, not top coat paint.

OK, this is a tiny little frugal compared to IL's big score (Congratulations!), but I looked at our grocery receipt yesterday, and the cashier charged me for 3 jars of peanut butter and I only got 2. I'm going to bring my receipt to the service desk next week and request my $3.00, but more importantly, I'm going to pay more attention at check-out and start looking at my receipts regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    OK, this is a tiny little frugal compared to IL's big score (Congratulations!), but I looked at our grocery receipt yesterday, and the cashier charged me for 3 jars of peanut butter and I only got 2. I'm going to bring my receipt to the service desk next week and request my $3.00, but more importantly, I'm going to pay more attention at check-out and start looking at my receipts regularly.
    Down in SC at Bi-Lo, if that happened, they would actually give you the whole nine dollars and the peanut butter. I got a free pack of lemon cookies that way once!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Down in SC at Bi-Lo, if that happened, they would actually give you the whole nine dollars and the peanut butter. I got a free pack of lemon cookies that way once!
    That's a very generous policy!

Thread Information