Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: January frugals

Yppej
    Well I went for groceries after only a week because I needed ingredients to try recipes in a book I got from the library 5-Ingredient Keto. So I am setting myself a goal to go two weeks from today.

Brought home some butternut squash a customer brought in.

So far my frugals have been to simply not shop. Last couple of months, it's just been gas and the grocery store.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Making much more use of ebooks from the library.

New house has godawful leaky front door front window area. We will not use this door until spring until we can build a porch to step out on. Am thinking of hanging a quilt there on a wooden closet pole to cover the whole thing and try to block the heat loss.

Mostly this is because my dog stares out of every available window and barks her head off at the squirrels and is a complete basket case. It is driving me insane.

Reusing packing materials. Since I'm doing mail order again, this isn't insignificant.

We're planning on buying many veggies this year in bulk, been working out the plan/timing for that.

We use onion skins (in the lunch bags I dry herbs in) to start fires. When you're going through 25 lbs of onions at once or the remains of that, you can fill a small lunch bag most of the way pretty easily. I love this, it reuses something i use anyway and creates a zero waste solution.

Because of COVID, we're consolidating trips much more than we used to.

For those that are mailing packages, are you aware that you can arrange for pickup of the packages from your door? Free if it’s the same time as your mail is delivered. You have to buy your postage online. This all works best if you’re using flat rate boxes or have your own scale. I did it for two items I sold online last week and it worked very well.

Yppej
    I've decided against a haircut this month, more for comfort than frugality. Wearing a mask causes my skin rash to flare up. It has now spread from around my mouth down my neck and into my upper chest. Anything touching it causes it to worsen.

Took a kitchen faucet back to Lowes, and they took it back, even though we bought it 6 months ago--we had not opened the box, it was for the new house, and the one here is fine, and I don't want to change anything in the kitchen. Husband took back a saw he bought that wasn't much better than the one he had. 180 dollars back. Of course spent 155 at Walmart on the same trip for things to keep me warm--bought an electric blanket and actually slept through the night without an asthma attack for first time since here.

Those were worthwhile returns, Tybee! I complained about some flashlight bulbs I bought on Amazon this week (two were burned out already, and one burned out very quickly) so I got my money back on those, not that it was much. Still I don't want to pay for *crap* we can't use! I trimmed my hair around the edges, since I don't plan on getting a cut anytime soon. We bypassed our bi-weekly take out this time around, electing to fix something quick at home, after a volunteer gig on Sunday. No major savings, but not much spending, either.

Yppej
    Not frugal - I went to make a recipe and the green beans were spoiled. Previously it was the chives. This only shopping for groceries every other week is something I haven't nailed down yet.

Thread Information