Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: January frugals

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    I have a 90s era crockpot. I don't like much crockpot food (tasty food in, bland mushy gunk out) and have mainly used it to keep food hot at pot-lucks. One of the handles broke years ago, and we replaced it with a large wine cork. Last week I pulled it out becuase I found a Moroccan chicken stew recipe that sounded good (it was delish!!) and the other handle broke into a gazzillion plastic bits. So, after the stew was gone and the liner pulled for washing, DH replaced the second handle with a small nut and another wine cork. Looks funky but works just fine, and no money spent on a new appliance that won't get a lot of use.
    I will have to keep that in mind since wine corks are a bountiful resource around here!

Yppej
    I am going for groceries tomorrow after 13 days. Since it will be bitter cold Friday I decided not to wait the extra day to hit two weeks. I found a store near where I work I will try which should be safer. Where I live there are a lot of Brazilians and I am concerned about the Brazilian variant. One of the Market Baskets in the area has the entire side of one aisle of Brazilian foods and there is a Brazilian church, Brazilian stores, Brazilian restaurants, a Brazilian travel agency, and places to wire money to Brazil all in the area.

Saturday I am getting tires and going with a new garage that I think will be less crowded. The price will be comparable to where I have gone previously. I knew the other shops were jampacked because I could not get through to them on the phone or get through on the website to book an appointment. Yes, I am one of those procrastinators who waited until winter to get my tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Where I live there are a lot of Brazilians and I am concerned about the Brazilian variant.
    Where I live there are hardly any Brazilians and yet we've already seen at least one instance of the Brazilian variant. *shrug*

However, as someone who has substantially altered his own shopping habits to avoid packed stores, I entirely understand wanting to choose a store that's empty a lot of the time. I would try a different store, too.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Since Brazil is a free country there is a lot of travel back and forth, unlike someplace like Cuba.

Yppej
    Prices were high at the safer store so I did not buy much. I only spent $27.30 and don't think this with what I had on hand will last another two weeks but I think I can make it one week. I have identified another small community, non chain grocery store I want to try next.

Yppej
    Ouch! I spent over $3000.00 this month, including security upgrades I promised my son a year ago (my contribution to a computer that will run the software, and will also give me a working computer - it will be dual function - he didn't order it until recently), quarterly real estate taxes, and new tires. So nothing frivolous but it all adds up.

Rear brakes are next but they quoted me $444 and last time I paid $600 for both front and back so I put the appointment two weeks out and have started shopping around.

I spent more this month than in any single month in 2020.

We spent 12% less than our 2020 average. I stocked up on lots of animal protein for the freezer. We're good for several months. Old toiletry items all replaced: nail clippers, emory boards, toenail emory board (rougher finish), foot ointment-I found an amazing treatment and no more icky dry cracked skin! Our pantry is fully stocked so nothing needed there till at least mid-March.

February brings most of insurance policy payments: 2 vehicles for 6m each, primary and secondary homes annual. The only one not due is our umbrella policy.

Ouch Jep, these expensive months do happen, unfortunately. It certainly doesn't mean that you were un-frugal for paying your property taxes though.
    Gardnr: May I ask about the ointment you discovered? I did read something recently about how it is important to apply cream or lotion shortly after bathing, and I've found that my heels are much the better for post-shower application. I was applying before bed and that never really did anything.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Gardnr: May I ask about the ointment you discovered? I did read something recently about how it is important to apply cream or lotion shortly after bathing, and I've found that my heels are much the better for post-shower application. I was applying before bed and that never really did anything.
    California Mango Mend. I soak in the hot tub before I shower to really soften the soles. Then use a fairly rough pumice at the the end of my shower. The the ointment after drying and into cotton socks. It absorbs over about an hour.

LOVE it! https://www.sallybeauty.com/nails/na...BS-486000.html

Thanks, Gardnr!

Thread Information