Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are we investing now?

Where are we investing now?

I’ve been increasing my stock allocation back up a small amount. Investing in emerging markets, China, Russia, etc. But not a large amount.

What I’m worried about is bonds currently make no sense to me, and money market rates are a joke. I’m also conserned with the value of the dollar.

it’s to late to fill storage lockers with ammo and reloading supplies, none are available. Real estate seems high and I don’t want to be a landlord, especially now that the government can stop eviction.

So where does a saver put cash that will be worth less as the government printing presses are gearing up?

Groceries.

MRE’s might be a smart move. I’m not thinking things will get that bad. And storage could be a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsMc-IswG3w

Seriously though, I'm not changing the basic boring boring mini-max boring strategy I've used for decades now.

Yppej
    I am not investing in these but you might want to try toilet paper. Disinfectant spray. Pizza chains. Bicycles. Computer parts. See also my Covid Winners thread.

My DH tells me gold is set to appreciate.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Staying the course here. Enough of our retirement income is effectively annuitized that we don't need to be really defensive about our stock holdings. We're very light in bonds, right now, though, for just the reason you mentioned.

For cash, on-line banks seem to offer better rates on CDs. Some people like I-bond savings bonds, which are, in part, tied to the inflation rate. SPIAs (Single Premium Immediate Annuities) work for some people; if nothing else, they even out income flows even if they're not a spectacular hedge against inflation. But nobody knows nothin'.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My DH tells me gold is set to appreciate.
    That's called "commodities speculation", and not "investing".

I've never regretted my I-bond purchases, although with the annual limit some people may need to purchase them in multiple years to amount to a reasonable percentage of a portfolio. I suppose if inflation is a big worry there could be an angle that makes sense with TIPS. I small amount in a floating rate high yield bond fund that carries some risk, but fits in with other things I own.

I've anticipated some sort of higher inflation for most of Trump's reign and his expansion of debt, but it just hasn't happened. My personal forecast doesn't include any exceptional inflation or interest rate change in the near future, but it doesn't hurt to diversify. One day there may be the Piper to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    That's called "commodities speculation", and not "investing".
    Isn't a whole lot of investing based on speculation? What's a hedge fund if not legalized gambling?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information