Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where are we investing now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I've never regretted my I-bond purchases.
    I will be buying my annual limit of Treasury I Bonds in a couple weeks. The real rate of return is likely to be zero, but that is significantly better than the APY in savings accounts, where the real rate rate of return is negative. Every month the value of each I Bond increases, and payment of interest and principal is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States.

At my stage of life, preservation of capital is a more salient goal than growth. The entire long-term investment portfolio includes diversified equities as well as fixed income (about 50:50). I don't foresee buying more equities, unless the prices are considerably lower.

[QUOTE=dado potato;371822]I will be buying my annual limit of Treasury I Bonds in a couple weeks. The real rate of return is likely to be zero, but that is significantly better than the APY in savings accounts, where the real rate rate of return is negative. Every month the value of each I Bond increases, and payment of interest and principal is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States./QUOTE]

I might add that tax on interest at the federal level is tax deferred and tax exempt for state reporting.

Water and anything space.

The problem I see with I Bonds is that if you die they will be part of probate. I cashed in some this year because I am not sure if others would understand how to cash them in and what the tax ramifications would be. I am trying to make everything easy for heirs.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The problem I see with I Bonds is that if you die they will be part of probate. I cashed in some this year because I am not sure if others would understand how to cash them in and what the tax ramifications would be. I am trying to make everything easy for heirs.
    If I die before some sort of financial shock comes along which causes me to cash in I Bonds, they are registered as POD, payable to my spouse on my death. I believe the I Bonds would not be involved in probate, if my wife survives me.

If I wanted to register somebody other than my spouse as POD, I would talk to a lawyer familiar with marital property rights (I live in a community-property state), about obtaining her consent. I do not expect that I will want to do this.

If I survive my spouse, I believe it would be possible to change the POD registration to other individuals.

You are correct dado potato... if the bonds are properly registered there would be no probate.... ie POD. The ones I cashed in were my name only no POD and no interest being earned. Didn't make sense IMO to keep them.

https://treasurydirect.gov/indiv/pla...lan_estate.htm

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Isn't a whole lot of investing based on speculation? What's a hedge fund if not legalized gambling?
    https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...peculating.asp

Thread Information