Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pantries...?

Pantries...?

What do you mean when you say the word “pantry? “

Isn’t a pantry just a tall cupboard? Unless, of course, one has room for a walk-in pantry. My kitchen is 8’ x 8 1/2’ so there are no walk-in pantries on the horizon here.
    In addition to pantry considerations I am building a tiny Butler’s pantry. A Butler’s pantry is defined as an area between the kitchen and the dining room. Well that’s what this is Dash a closet that I am outfitting with cabinetry. It will hold glassware cups a coffee maker and probably some kind of refrigerator/freezer unit on the floor.

Here’s what I’m aiming for see photos:

FFD91864-761D-427F-9390-9184FF514A3D.jpg

1F951EB2-0BAA-41A5-B609-F3841431A5C2.jpg

My pantry looks a little like yours but it actually is a 6' closet with folding doors just inside the door from the garage. I have shelves in it for groceries and larger cooking pans, coffee pot, flour, sugar etc. The laundry set is opposite.
    When I looked for ideas on how to better make a pantry out of a closet, most suggested exactly what I had done. Looks like your idea is perfect for your condo.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I've always taken the word pantry to just mean floor to ceiling cupboard. Our old apartment had a nice one. 40 inches wide, 24 inches deep. It was great. In our new house we just have a little pantryette. (Yes, I made up that word.) It's maybe 16 inches wide and five feet tall and 18 inches deep. It's useful, but I wish it were bigger. SO installed pullout shelves and bought stackable bulk food containers to reign in the chaos and make the most of it, which helps a lot.

When I say pantry, I often refer to the collection of items that one would have in a pantry. I have 3 separate areas that contain my "pantry"- a small kitchen closet, a small hallway closet intended for linens and a set of basement shelves. My dream house has a walk in pantry where I could not only keep extra food, but all my appliances also.

I think of a pantry as a closet in the kitchen. At my aunt's cottage there was a pantry with shelving and a cabinet to store dishes and pots and pans. Here's a picture of my pantry. (Embarrassed that the trim around the stained glass is YET to be painted . Inside the pantry is my microwave, fridge, a few shelves for food, and my onion/potato hanging basket.

IMG_2012a.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My pantry is on one side of my kitchen. It is floor to ceiling, about 18" deep and has bifold doors on it. It holds food, all baking stuff in containers, larger appliances I don't use daily (I prefer clear counters), our fire safe....that's about it. It's generally 85% full all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think of a pantry as a closet in the kitchen. At my aunt's cottage there was a pantry with shelving and a cabinet to store dishes and pots and pans. Here's a picture of my pantry. (Embarrassed that the trim around the stained glass is YET to be painted . Inside the pantry is my microwave, fridge, a few shelves for food, and my onion/potato hanging basket.

IMG_2012a.jpg
    Not that you’re going to change it, but what’s the real utility of having a closed room off of a tiny kitchen that acts a pantry?Would that same space be more useful if it were not enclosed with a wall and a door?

My Hermann house has a long narrow “pantry “added to the house in the 80s. I call it a “pantry” because it’s a room off the kitchen. It required them to bump out the front of the house.What a dumb and expensive way to expand the kitchen without making it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What do you mean when you say the word “pantry? “

Isn’t a pantry just a tall cupboard? Unless, of course, one has room for a walk-in pantry. My kitchen is 8’ x 8 1/2’ so there are no walk-in pantries on the horizon here.
    In addition to pantry considerations I am building a tiny Butler’s pantry. A Butler’s pantry is defined as an area between the kitchen and the dining room. Well that’s what this is Dash a closet that I am outfitting with cabinetry. It will hold glassware cups a coffee maker and probably some kind of refrigerator/freezer unit on the floor.

Here’s what I’m aiming for see photos:

FFD91864-761D-427F-9390-9184FF514A3D.jpg

1F951EB2-0BAA-41A5-B609-F3841431A5C2.jpg

You're really doing a beverage station rather than a pantry which is usually maximum storage. If that's your need, this is a lovely appearance .

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    You're really doing a beverage station rather than a pantry which is usually maximum storage. If that's your need, this is a lovely appearance .
    You are right, it is a beverage station. I just like my name for it, the world’s tiniest butlers pantry. I like tiny spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think of a pantry as a closet in the kitchen
    That's essentially what we have, except that our pantry closet is a deep converted hall closet just off the kitchen/dining area. It contains the countertop appliances we don't use every day, larger serving dishes, our deeper stocks of nonperishable food, and a reed basket DW has filled with treats for the grandkids. We had a family friend build some shelves for us. This closet also contains the access to the attic, though, so we had to be careful about how permanent any of it is.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information