Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accountant? Attorney?

Yppej
    Usually it's if you're friends or family with the owner, or work for them but do side jobs on your own time, that you would use their account.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Usually it's if you're friends or family with the owner, or work for them but do side jobs on your own time, that you would use their account.
    There is a florist here in the city who uses garden flowers. Maybe if I give her armfuls of lilies, she will let me use her account.

Accountant. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. It is not difficult, but if you absolutely do not want to do it, an accountant can do it easily.

Pretty much anyone can get their own tax numbers; simple application. You may need to pick some sort of business name so the ID numbers can be associated with an entity other than your personal SSN/tax ID number, but that can be as simple as taking the business name "Iris Lilies & Associates" with those new IDs.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You people are not listening.

I.Do.Not.Want. To do this myself.
    Even as I typed my post, I knew this would be your response.

Good luck and I hope you find someone to do it all for you.

Edited to add: After re-reading, I wanted to say this is NOT sarcasm - I truly hope this is accomplished!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Even as I typed my post, I knew this would be your response.

Good luck and I hope you find someone to do it all for you.
    When I posted this I could hear in my head Steve’s voice telling me that I could do this myself it’s not that complicated.

To make all of you happy, last night I filled out some government form for the Department of revenue. My IPad churned and churned, processing this online form. Finally I gave up nothing accomplished. Maybe I just need an accountant with better Internet service who Knows, but nothing came of it. I am FKN done with it.

Geila
    Nothing wrong with getting a CPA to do it, if you have a tax preparer they can do it for you. I've done it several times for work and personal/contracting work and it was pretty simple, but I dealt with the IRS on a regular basis at my job so no biggie for me. It's like any other service, if you don't want to do it and can afford to source out, why not?

Does your neighborhood have a 503c status? If so, you can use the ID from that as well. I had a business license when I got my tax ID, so I don't remember if it was required or not, but if so, it is easy to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Nothing wrong with getting a CPA to do it, if you have a tax preparer they can do it for you. I've done it several times for work and personal/contracting work and it was pretty simple, but I dealt with the IRS on a regular basis at my job so no biggie for me. It's like any other service, if you don't want to do it and can afford to source out, why not?

Does your neighborhood have a 503c status? If so, you can use the ID from that as well. I had a business license when I got my tax ID, so I don't remember if it was required or not, but if so, it is easy to get.
    My neighborhood org does have an ID and actually had an account at this wholesaler. I have used that account a few times, two of those times for specific neighborhood related things and two times for personal purchases. But I don’t really know the ramifications of it and I don’t want do it very often.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-7-21 at 4:52pm.

When I posted this I could hear in my head Steve’s voice telling me that I could do this myself it’s not that complicated.
    Hmm. Apparently my reputation precedes me...

My neighborhood org does have an ID and actually had an account at this wholesaler.
    If you are a member of the organization, there would be no issue in using their EIN (at least as far as the IRS is concerned). However, the IRS has been more active in recent years about dropping from its rolls EINs that either have not been used or have not filed the appropriate annual documentation over a rolling three years. The bottom line of that is that, if you choose to use their EIN to simplify things, make sure it's still in effect before you endure the hassle of finding out it's not. That's a lookup on the IRS Web site; sometimes it takes more energy to find the EIN in the first place!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

update:

Talked to accountant...talked to wholesaler for clarification about what info they require for an account...still going around in circles...

Wholesaler will accept my SS number as credential IF ALSO I provide a business license from the state. I suspect this latter comes with tax filing requirements.

All this, for simply wanting to walk into their store and buy stuff.

Still planning to pay the accountant to walk in The circles.

I’m resurrecting this old thread to report on the resolution of my dilemma, And I ended up not going to an accountant but having DH help me with the federal FEIN paperwork.

Yesterday I finally got what I wanted, a wholesale account at the floral supply place down the street.

I ended up getting an FEIN number from the federal government which seem to satisfy the floral supply place that I was a “business. “I pay taxes on all purchases there, paying tax is not the issue. The issue is, from their point of view, that they do not do “retail “service. They just don’t.

So you need something to show that you are a “business “so they let you in the door to purchase product. I suppose the issue is that they don’t want to provide retail service which means sales floor staff, returns, normal retail hours, etc. But I don’t need all of that. I need access to their extensive warehouse of floral supply items just a hop skip and a jump from my door.

Now I feel as though I have the keys to the kingdom. Yesterday I made my first purchase on my own account and it was only $80.

Thread Information