Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Coup

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Sorry to be dense, but who are the 6M?
    It would’ve been so much easier if they’d just followed the ‘good people’ (according to some people’s idea of a great president) at the Charlottesville event and just used ‘Jews will not replace us’.

I wonder how many more of the cops will be found to have been traitorous participants in the coup yesterday?

https://mobile.twitter.com/bumbera_s...tack-yesterday

https://mobile.twitter.com/sugaspov/...tack-yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Modern neuroscience teaches us that everyone is racist. It's encoded into our brains.

The question is: what do you do about it?
    Great question!

I do question the encoded part, though, as I believe brains are encoded to recognize "differences", but I would want more info if our brains are actually encoded for "racism" or just differences. "Behaviors", "beliefs", etc. - at least in my opinion, are learned and, as such, can also be unlearned.

Racism -

"prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

-the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another."

I think there is a fine-line and perspective of definitions/etc. vary.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Tammy, so sorry if you actually leave! I hope it will just be a temporary hiatus. Wishing you continued healing and recovery.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I think like many other influences on our behavior, there is a combination of nature and nurture at play. Our evolutionary history probably had good reason for most of us to be repelled by snakes or spiders, but that doesn’t mean some of us don’t keep them as pets. Having a sex drive doesn’t mean you have to be a racist. A long history of evolutionary pressures that benefited favoring one’s own relations or clan over others doesn’t mean we have to be racist.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think like many other influences on our behavior, there is a combination of nature and nurture at play. Our evolutionary history probably had good reason for most of us to be repelled by snakes or spiders, but that doesn’t mean some of us don’t keep them as pets. Having a sex drive doesn’t mean you have to be a racist. A long history of evolutionary pressures that benefited favoring one’s own relations or clan over others doesn’t mean we have to be racist.
    oh sure. It’s just that if the premise of an entire teaching module is flawed, it makes much of the course flawed.

Yes, nature versus nurture is always in play.

I also agree that nature and nurture is at play. I think nurture is definitely that "learned" part that can then be unlearned. And, to a degree, I think some of nature can also be individually changed. My initial thought on an example here is someone who carries the genetics with a tendency towards alcoholism (quick google search below, says 50%), but who over-comes the disease and remains sober.

https://americanaddictioncenters.org...ary-or-genetic

Tammy, I really hope you decide to stay. I really value your opinion.

Comparison of police response to BLM protests and MAGA mob: https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/07/us/po...tol/index.html

Apparently, outside of the Capitol Police, whose loyalties were clearly divided, there were many police agencies ready and willing to respond that were rebuffed. Reports are that Trump never did call any of them up--he was too busy partying with his fam in celebration of the riots. Pence eventually did.

There may be a gene that encodes for "othering" strangers, but I bet epigenetics influence how it gets expressed.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    oh sure. It’s just that if the premise of an entire teaching module is flawed, it makes much of the course flawed.

Yes, nature versus nurture is always in play.
    There seem to be fashions in education that ebb and flow. I remember as an undergraduate biology student in the 70s a case where a lecturer had things thrown at him for saying that intelligence and behavior had a genetic component. Of course, we didn’t have the well-developed culture of shutting down ideas you have on campus today.

Thread Information