Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Coup

Considering vast numbers of the protestors being mentioned, even though they are irrelevant to the subject, were white people (portland is pretty white you know). Uh ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Considering vast numbers of the protestors being mentioned, even though they are irrelevant to the subject, were white people (portland is pretty white you know). Uh ...
    I don’t understand this point.

The subject here is “Coup.” Other terms used are “rioting “” protesting. “

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yes, I live in St. Louis where everything is about race. Even when it’s not.
    The world/US is more and bigger than St Louis, MO: just saying...
    Probably should delete this post but...
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    The world/US is more and bigger than St Louis, MO: just saying...
    Probably should delete this post but...
    Do You believe that everything is not about race? If so, then...

Congratulations. So do I.

I think it's interesting to see so much talk of race in a discussion about something that has nothing to do with race. Yesterday we saw a perfect example of what happens when a mob coalesces around a narrative and today (on a much smaller level) we get to hear judgmental condemnation from others actively coalescing around another narrative.

It's easy to see how mobs form.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

As discussions have a tendency to do, there is progression and often times side topics are developed and included. Unless I totally missed something (sorry if I have!), the topic of race was introduced to this discussion based on the police/security response to the "mob/group/protesters/whatever you want to call them" actions in yesterday's events versus the police/security responses to other "mob/group/protesters/whatever you want to call them" in the recent past.

Again, I stand by my previous post that I do believe race - at some point and to some degree - had *something* to do with yesterday's events as much as it had to do with previously mentioned events.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    As discussions have a tendency to do, there is progression and often times side topics are developed and included. Unless I totally missed something (sorry if I have!), the topic of race was introduced to this discussion based on the police/security response to the "mob/group/protesters/whatever you want to call them" actions in yesterday's events versus the police/security responses to other "mob/group/protesters/whatever you want to call them" in the recent past.

Again, I stand by my previous post that I do believe race - at some point and to some degree - had *something* to do with yesterday's events as much as it had to do with previously mentioned events.
    We are all acknowledging that a white protester was shot dead yesterday, right? Does that help to even out Racial injustice by police,?

the topic of race was introduced to this discussion based on the police/security response to the "mob/group/protesters/whatever you want to call them" actions in yesterday's events versus the police/security responses to other "mob/group/protesters/whatever you want to call them" in the recent past.
    But many of the BLM protesters WERE white. It may have more to do with police forces being infiltrated by far right groups. But also there actually is an argument for deescalation not escalation in such a situation so that not escalating may not have been the wrong call, still more arrests would have been nice.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    We are all acknowledging that a white protester was shot dead yesterday, right? Does that help to even out Racial injustice by police,?
    No - dead is dead and, while that is included as a result of the events, you are not discussing "race issues" in the same perspective as I am. I'm also getting the feeling you are pulling the "trolling" tactics here that you have so readily admitted to doing in the past so... no thanks.

Besides, it's also time to get ready for work. I'll try to catch up tomorrow.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it's interesting to see so much talk of race in a discussion about something that has nothing to do with race. Yesterday we saw a perfect example of what happens when a mob coalesces around a narrative and today (on a much smaller level) we get to hear judgmental condemnation from others actively coalescing around another narrative.

It's easy to see how mobs form.
    Actually, it is about race but in a form of fear. The reporting of the November and the Georgia vote was about white vs those of colour?; the protestors on Capitol on January 6/21 were white or of colour?; the questions comparing the police response to white Supermacists' actions in earlier protests which killed people vs the response to BLM protests; the longterm design and planning of housing to separate race by colour; educational funding by race; incarceration rates by colour; birther questions?;...
    The USA has not yet dealt with this continuing undercurrent and the rest of the world reads the reports and books written by American authors detailing the causes, conditions and challenges. Add to this all the additional challenges facing everyone in the world like the pandemic, climate change, etc. I have no desire to become a politician. Many have become so disillusioned with the challenges that they become manipulated by their own self-interest. I admire the Georgia Secretary of State and others who stood for the principle of accuracy despite all the risks.

The so-called coup was staged by white people who have been strongly encouraged to oppose anything other than the memory of the past with the illusion that then things will go back to Make America Great Again. Keeping a state of agitation/chaos in operation was key. It was and is a hypnotic illusion.

The US is not unique in this. Britain has gone through Brexit because too many want things to be the way the remember. It will be interesting to see how that works out as well.

Canada is in it to a similar degree with the aboriginal situation despite Reconciliation efforts but it is being acknowledged as a problem that needs resolution. Getting everyone to see a way ahead has proven illusive. Look at African countries and their issues, the Mid-East with religious conflict, Asia

Human beings seem to thrive on creating criteria and seeing their fellow man/woman as the "other" giving them reasons to behave foolishly.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information