Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Coup

Sorry to see you go, Tammy.

I’ve decided I’m staying out of the political stuff. It’s just too much. I’m staying out of it everywhere, not just here.

I will miss Tammy also. She was a voice of reason. Somethings are hard to talk about and times are stressful.

I have read behavioral studies indicating that we all have some degree of sub-conscious racism, whether it is inherited through some form of epigenetics or by environment. Maybe it was in a Malcom Gladwell book, possibly Blink. I've forgotten the details. The issue is what we do with it. I believe there is something like benevolent racism, where it is recognized and dealt with, or we have otherwise have overridden sub-conscious tendencies with reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I will miss Tammy also. She was a voice of reason. Somethings are hard to talk about and times are stressful.

I have read behavioral studies indicating that we all have some degree of sub-conscious racism, whether it is inherited through some form of epigenetics or by environment. Maybe it was in a Malcom Gladwell book, possibly Blink. I've forgotten the details. The issue is what we do with it. I believe there is something like benevolent racism, where it is recognized and dealt with, or we have otherwise have overridden sub-conscious tendencies with reason.
    Yes, that is why, or one reason anyway, why having the label “racist” flung at me holds little meaning for me.

This situation is sadly typical. I will miss Tammy, she has strong and reasonable points of view. But someone who doesn’t venture into the political discussions here then doing a deep dive, subsequently finding unacceptable responses, then flouncing off just before calling someone “racist”—This is a typical behavior pattern on the Internet.

It will be interesting to see if this kind of behavior lessens “racist “posts all over the Internet as time goes on.

I do observe, because I skate through a lot of forums, that there is a sincere effort to combat racism and other isms in chat forums. Those forums without stated goals are having a hell of a time moderating themselves. A noble goal, but can every forum be a “safe space?”

My inclination is to stay away from them until they get things settled. Write the rules, get them posted, and then maybe I’ll see if those are rules I want to follow.

In one of the forums grappling with how they want to go forward combating all the isms, one poster said very clearly: we can either be a safe space where everyone is in agreement about all things, or we can be a welcoming community. The latter means people will join up with different ideas that some find threatening. I thought this was well put.

Wondered if trump is impeached ... what benefits would he lose? Thought it interesting.

So, the sole benefit that an impeached and convicted President would receive as a former President is Secret Service protection; not the pension, not the stipend for office staff and personal assistants, not the gold-plated health insurance.

Accordingly, he would receive more if he resigned.

He could not run again. That is a real benefit. They should impeach.
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I'm sorry to see Tammy go, too. We both live in Phoenix. Sent her an email, hope to.keep in touch. And politics lately is getting nasty period. Everyone here knows my liberal stances by now - maybe it would be the best for at least myself to get back to the original purpose of this board. You'all can predict my takes by this point and likely have heard enough of the 85006, no? Rob

Tammy is what I would consider an outstanding member here. Does it not bother anyone she's leaving due to internal strife here?

I hereby abstain from political and 85006 posts going forward. This little is what I can do for this community. Tammy's leaving woke me up on this issue. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Tammy is what I would consider an outstanding member here. Does it not bother anyone she's leaving due to internal strife here?

I hereby abstain from political and 85006 posts going forward. This little is what I can do for this community. Tammy's leaving woke me up on this issue. Rob
    she didnt leave due to “strife.” Did you read her words?

Strife is my pleasant spin on it - and yes, I did go back and read her words and understand her decision. None of this can I change - but I CAN change what I post. FWIW, I agree with Tammy's take. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Yes, Tammy is an outstanding member and will be missed. It bothers me that her leaving will be blamed on people who did nothing more than question a cherished premise that genuinely seems questionable. I'd like to think that we enjoy diversity a little more than that and am more than a little distressed to see that diversity characterized as strife.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information