Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Coup

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Viewed from the eyes of someone (generally speaking - not saying anyone specifically) living with unacknowledged/unrecognized "white privilege", I'm sure this would be a believable statement. I, however, am not convinced as yet that racism - and other biases - isn't linked in some way to pretty much everything.
    So I woke up this morning and saw a news report that protesters were wearing shirts that said “6MWE”. The stands for “6,000,000 were not enough”.

Remember back a few years when I talked about the fear of us going down the same path as Germany did in the 1930s? Many of you pooh-poohed me? Many of you said that we can’t be comparing everything to Hitler? That when we bring up Hitler it just incites arguments and that it’s not comparable? Remember yesterday when I said that this is mostly about racism? Remember how so many of you disagreed with me?

What the hell. I guess I was right.

6MWE = 6 million wasn’t enough

To clarify

Sorry to be dense, but who are the 6M?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I think it’s probably a mistake trying to explain complex events with a simplistic race reductionism. There are too many political and cultural moving parts to think you can understand or address most major issues with such a primitive tool. It’s similar to the distortions Marxists introduce in their focus on class. You become as much a prisoner of your own doctrine as a fundamentalist religious sect trying to explain away evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Sorry to be dense, but who are the 6M?

Glad you aren’t on Reddit asking that…

We love you here and know you are a sincere, brave, and real person. For that reason I will tell you the 6 million refers to the Jews killed by Hitler in World War II.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Glad you aren’t on Reddit asking that…
    OK, but I'm not on Reddit. I'm in a "safe space," so who are the 6M?

Maybe I'm becoming all TOO isolated in my island sanctuary.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    So I woke up this morning and saw a news report that protesters were wearing shirts that said “6MWE”. The stands for “6,000,000 were not enough”.

Remember back a few years when I talked about the fear of us going down the same path as Germany did in the 1930s? Many of you pooh-poohed me? Many of you said that we can’t be comparing everything to Hitler? That when we bring up Hitler it just incites arguments and that it’s not comparable? Remember yesterday when I said that this is mostly about racism? Remember how so many of you disagreed with me?

What the hell. I guess I was right.
    Despite the cogent arguments of t-shirt based analysis, I still think you’re wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think it’s probably a mistake trying to explain complex events with a simplistic race reductionism. There are too many political and cultural moving parts to think you can understand or address most major issues with such a primitive tool. It’s similar to the distortions Marxists introduce in their focus on class. You become as much a prisoner of your own doctrine as a fundamentalist religious sect trying to explain away evolution.
    Can you at least agree that racism is a part of this shameful picture?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    OK, but I'm not on Reddit. I'm in a "safe space," so who are the 6M?

Maybe I'm becoming all TOO isolated in my island sanctuary.
    sorry, I edited my response to give you the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Despite the cogent arguments of t-shirt based analysis, I still think you’re wrong.
    And I think you’re racist. It’s right in front of your face. And you excuse it.

Thread Information