Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Coup

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    So now we find the babies are indeed born racist?

Science. Always believe it. Even when it changes every whipstitch.
    Well, if you'd look into the matter, you'd find something interesting about how our brains are constructed. Our brains seem to react differently to "the other", as a matter of wiring. That's not a moral failing.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, if you'd look into the matter, you'd find something interesting about how our brains are constructed. Our brains seem to react differently to "the other", as a matter of wiring. That's not a moral failing.
    I've heard that as well. From an evolutionary point of view, we tend to categorize or compartmentalize people or things that may prove to be threats. Once we know that, we can adjust our responses to specific situations.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

See also "Cat vs. Cucumber"

See also "Cat vs. Cucumber"
    Is that some primordial fear of snakes at work?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Is that some primordial fear of snakes at work?
    Well, when I tried it on my cat, she used the same studious "I don't care, where's my food" look she always has.

I won’t look into it further because I believe you. Makes sense to me.

What I don’t understand is why the educators of 20-25 years ago in all of the correct-think Kamps I attended did not promote this fact.

Rather than the science of the moment, I am more interested in why this particular science is of THIS moment. How did it come up into our consciousness. How was it and why was it confiscated for the dominant societal outlook, assuming that it is the current thought.

I won’t do a deep dive into this because I don’t have that much interest in it it, But if I run across a good discussion online about my question I will share it here.

What I don’t understand is why the educators of 20-25 years ago in all of the correct-think Kamps I attended did not promote this fact.

Rather than the science of the moment, I am more interested in why this particular science is of THIS moment.
    As I understand it, some of the research uses technology that only recently has been affordable and accessible for the "soft sciences". In particular, high resolution MRI/neuroimaging voodoo. So, no conspiracy other than "market forces drive down prices and increase availability".

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Tammy, please don't leave! Think of the rest of us that really value your input.
    This is really sad. Tammy, your posts are important.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

As I understand it, some of the research uses technology that only recently has been affordable and accessible for the "soft sciences". In particular, high resolution MRI/neuroimaging voodoo. So, no conspiracy other than "market forces drive down prices and increase availability".
    Does this mean I can throw away my class notes and volumes of instructional materials* that were delivered in ponderous tones of “this is so good for us” Lectures? And we can now get to the nitty-gritty of how do we deal with inherent racist attitudes? To me, this seems very freeing to actually get to a place that makes sense.

unfortunately the tide has also turned in a way that I don’t like. I wish we could get to a place where, as Alan often states, we look at humans by Martin Luther King‘s criteria not the color of their skin. But I think we’re stuck for a while in this societal mileau where we must view everyone as a color/gender/class/sexual preference object First, and look at their character secondarily.

At least this too will pass. I might be dead by then but that’s OK. Society moves on in how it views things.

*Not really. I certainly don’t mess up my house with reams of this material. Just kidding. But yeah, back in the day, we all came back from our little race workshops clutching our little piles of instructional material.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-8-21 at 10:37am.

And we can now get to the nitty-gritty of how do we deal with inherent racist attitudes? To me, this seems very freeing to actually get to a place that makes sense.
    I think that's how it is going these days in most reasonable places. Certainly the various diversity/inclusiveness trainings and seminars I've been subjected to over the past few years have used that approach.

Thread Information