Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: January Purge

When I went through The Purge I got rid of about 100 books, but I had already gotten rid of 200 about a year earlier. I kept the books I couldn't bear to give away, either because they were sentimental (given to me by someone), or were personally autographed by the author, or I'm likely to reread or refer to portions of them in the future. They fit into 3 banker's boxes when we moved, and they are now in my compact barrister bookcase.

I have to say if I didn't have an extensive library on Kindle I'd have had a lot more banker's boxes of books.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    I have friends where both people in the couple were editors. The husband was a book collector and dealer as well. The wife always looks underfed, she's just like that. Her then grade school kid looked the same way. They had new neighbors in their swanky NYC suburb neighborhood who offered the kid food when he'd been playing withe their kid... and reported the couple to the police because obviously, they weren't feeding the kid. (I stayed with them for long periods, that wasn't true.)

When the cops came to talk to them about "starving" their kid, one cop looked around the house and was heard remarking something like, "You can tell these people aren't right -- there's too many books here."

My friends moved.
    I am watching “pretend it’s a city “a tv documentary series about Fran Leibowitz and the city she loves, NYC. In it she rambles on about New York City life. She has 10,000 books in her collection and has to service that collection within her limited means to find an apartment to house them. That is tough in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    When I went through The Purge I got rid of about 100 books, but I had already gotten rid of 200 about a year earlier. I kept the books I couldn't bear to give away, either because they were sentimental (given to me by someone), or were personally autographed by the author, or I'm likely to reread or refer to portions of them in the future. They fit into 3 banker's boxes when we moved, and they are now in my compact barrister bookcase.

I have to say if I didn't have an extensive library on Kindle I'd have had a lot more banker's boxes of books.
    I have a few autographed by the author, but if I had been smarter I would have had them not do a personal inscription with my name. They would be easier to sell.

My favorite inscription is from Dave Barry, the humorist, who wrote “to my closest personal friend “which is funny because of course I’m an anonymous fan.

I’ve had no issues getting rid of a lot of books. Popular fiction type stuff is easily passed around friends, especially right now with seniors not wanting to go to the library. I simply request I don’t want the books back and others get to read them. I’d drop off some with the senior friend i grocery shop for, then she passes them on to neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have a few autographed by the author, but if I had been smarter I would have had them not do a personal inscription with my name. They would be easier to sell.

My favorite inscription is from Dave Barry, the humorist, who wrote “to my closest personal friend “which is funny because of course I’m an anonymous fan.
    My favorite autographed books are:

T. Boone Pickens, who I spent 3 days with at a rehab.
    Duane Elgin, who I met at a seminar he was giving--I had brought my copy of Voluntary Simplicity which he signed
    Joyce Carol Oates, whom I took my kids to Brentanos in Princeton to meet, expecting there to be scads of people there in line, and we were the only ones. She was standing there by herself so I was able to have a brief conversation with her before she signed American Appetites.

And then there's my copy of The Future of the American Negro, signed by Booker T. Washington, which I bought at a yard sale for $10. It is authentic--appraised by 2 independent booksellers.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My favorite autographed books are:

T. Boone Pickens, who I spent 3 days with at a rehab.
    Duane Elgin, who I met at a seminar he was giving--I had brought my copy of Voluntary Simplicity which he signed
    Joyce Carol Oates, whom I took my kids to Brentanos in Princeton to meet, expecting there to be scads of people there in line, and we were the only ones. She was standing there by herself so I was able to have a brief conversation with her before she signed American Appetites.

And then there's my copy of The Future of the American Negro, signed by Booker T. Washington, which I bought at a yard sale for $10. It is authentic--appraised by 2 independent booksellers.
    Catherine those are nice! For a while I actively hated Joyce Carol Oates but I haven’t read anything of hers for years to incite that dislike so I’ve calm down about that.

Catherine those are nice! For a while I actively hated Joyce Carol Oates but I haven’t read anything of hers for years to incite that dislike so I’ve calm down about that.
    Haha! What did JCO ever do to you? . What don't you like about her writing? I love her, and We Were the Mulvaneys is the only work of fiction that survived The Purge (aside from the autographed American Appetites, which was OK).

I am watching “pretend it’s a city “a tv documentary series about Fran Leibowitz and the city she loves, NYC. In it she rambles on about New York City life. She has 10,000 books in her collection and has to service that collection within her limited means to find an apartment to house them. That is tough in NYC.
    A friend just emailed me about this series. I love a good documentary!

I have a "meh" feeling about Joyce Carol Oates. I read something by her once and don't remember anything about it, so she apparently didn't inspire any animus in me.

On Thursday night, I mentioned to DH that I really needed a shelf in one of the drawer boxes which hold cookbooks. He put it up this morning. More organization, fewer wood scraps, neater. Hurrah! And yes, more culls too. I opened a box of plated metal pieces this morning. One piece is already in the antique store box. One is slated to be given to family for valentines (it's heart shaped) and the rest are out on a table, a plate was put away, but most of it sits on the table waiting for its fate to be decided.

I never or almost never entertain. Why do I need any decorative serving dishes? I have some silverplate I really love, but after I keep a few of those, then what? Most of it came from thrift shops for only a few bucks. I suppose I'll either put it in the Christmas stuff, since Christmas time is the only time I try and decorate with "bling" and actually use all this stuff, or get rid of it.

Thread Information