Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What exactly does the far right want?

What exactly does the far right want?

I am perhaps naively in the middle ideologically but I continue to try and understand the gripes of the far right. Seems to me the world has changed and we all have to deal with new realities and do the best we can to carry on. Sorry guys but women have professions, the middle class is gone, we buy all our stuff from China, black and brown people are part of our society, jobs are off-shored and on and on. Going backwards to the good old days ain't gonna happen. What would make them happy?

Why are you asking this audience?

Yes wrong audience. But also some of those things are objectively bad (whether they are what the far right cares about I do not know).
    Trees don't grow on money

I asked the OP “why this audience?” because a huge part of overheated rhetoric in our society today is person A blathering about person B’s thoughts and opinions without person B even being in the room.

I don’t see how you will get anyone other than the usual players, JP, etc. telling us what the far right wants in sarcastic tones.

It might be useful for the more thoughtful posters here to link to well written and convincing thought pieces from the right. I’m not sure who is considered far right and that is of course another problem with the OP’s question, who is far right?

But if you’re sincere I always found a lot of editorials and articles in National Review useful.

I don't know who else to ask and I want to understand. I don't belong or spend time on other forums except for gardening forums.

I say not this audience because I don't think there are that many hard core Trumpers although there are those on the right,one could say far right, but Trump is a cult of his own. You are asking what do people who think the election was stolen or who want to steal it believe (that might be much of the Republican party, but many here believe Biden legitimately won)

I think that loss of the middle class and good jobs is something progressives often care about, that some like to think Trumpers also care about, but frankly I don't know that they actually do. Now all those things might have to do with why traditional Republicanism is a hard sell as it might require people to be doing better, but Trump is just a grifter who doesn't help anyone.

If I wanted to go down that rabbit hole I might consume right wing media (Fox is too left wing for them now), see what was being fed people.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I don't know who else to ask and I want to understand. I don't belong or spend time on other forums except for gardening forums.
    That is a good answer except that you’re not going find good answers to your question on this website.

Try National Review for a text source. They are not far right although they reference some far right ideas no doubt.

I don’t watch tv news and I don’t watch much in the way of opinion pieces, but in the past year I have watched video interviews by Dave Rubin (among other productions ) with various thought leaders on the right. You get a good smattering of the ideas out there through Rubin’s interviews. Many of these interviews are available on YouTube. I like Dave because he’s so happy and upbeat in his delivery.

I first heard Dave Rubin on NPR, several years ago now, where he filled in for Tom Ashcraft. Ashcraft was a raging liberal, of course, it’s NPR, and here was this happy upbeat voiceed guy who called himself a “classical liberal “who made an entertaining show and treated his guests with respect.

Of course NPR didn’t continue with him because NPR,

OP I’m going to ask you a question:

Will you accept JP’s characterizations of far right thought, opinions, snd goals?

Because if you do, I believe you’re not sincere about exploring the world of the far right.

There’s a great piece in National Review that argues that the cure for Trumpism is Reaganism. I’m inclined to agree. IL is absolutely right about NR. If it weren’t for Bill Buckley, Russell Kirk and maybe Edmund Burke and Roger Scruton I might be a liberal today.

I would suspect we would have a difficult time agreeing here on what “far right” constitutes or what they want.

I remain open as it is my way to question everything.

Thread Information