Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What exactly does the far right want?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, I suppose if you get to create your own definition, you can then engage that caricatured subset of people, but...
    Until you run out of straw.

Some of the coup plotters have been pretty well shown to be Q-Anon fwiw. Some may not be, it doesn't make them any better. And that's what Q believes all that stuff.

I don't think Russia is necessary for this, here if you can make a profit off something it will be done, including promoting conspiracies. If there is a market. That so many people make an obviously dishonest living doing such things, and jump at the chance, because hey it tends to pay more than some boring old job, yea well.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, I suppose if you get to create your own definition, you can then engage that caricatured subset of people, but...
    and that subset isnt here on this website.

So, setting up men made of straw, asking them to represent others, in an arena (here) where none of the targeted group exist—this is an effective way to learn. Alrighty then.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I wonder about this. Where have all these gullible people come from? I understand Breitbart, QAnon, 8Chan, and others are heavily promoting these--often Russian-generated*--wild-assed fables, but why don't people just snort and turn away? This is a mystery to me.

*As has been the case with many recent conspiracy theories, from the dangers supposedly posed by GMOs to some of the far-right messaging that helped elect Donald Trump, Russia has assiduously promoted misinformation with the intent of undermining trust in science and Western institutions generally.

Putin’s propaganda channels RT and Sputnik offer well-produced news-style broadcasts that serve to give legitimacy to conspiracy theories by airing them to a worldwide audience in slick-looking studio formats. As Wired has reported, as long ago as January 2019 RT was airing segments on 5G where its “correspondent,” Michele Greenstein, warned that 5G “might kill you.”
    (from https://allianceforscience.cornell.e...piracy-theory/
    The written word has awesome power. I think about that a lot. There are things I will say conversationally that I will not put in writing. Entire volumes have been written about this concept so it’s not like I’m saying something new, it’s just that I’ve observed how the written word has an effect on people that seems overly strong.

So some of these fringe ideas, if expressed often enough in writing in FB and Right leaning blogs seem to have a effect on people that perhaps human to human contact with the same information coming out of someone’s mouth might not.

This is just a theory.

Well then. Let's just close the book on this topic. I am off to take a long walk and think of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The written word has awesome power. I think about that a lot. There are things I will say conversationally that I will not put in writing. Entire volumes have been written about this concept so it’s not like I’m saying something new, it’s just that I’ve observed how the written word has an effect on people that seems overly strong.

So some of these fringe ideas, if expressed often enough in writing in FB and Right leaning blogs seem to have a effect on people that perhaps human to human contact with the same information coming out of someone’s mouth might not.

This is just a theory.
    "Besides, as the vilest Writer has his Readers, so the greatest Liar has his Believers; and it often happens, that if a Lie be believ’d only for an Hour, it has done its Work, and there is no farther occasion for it. Falsehood flies, and the Truth comes limping after it; so that when Men come to be undeceiv’d, it is too late; the Jest is over, and the Tale has had its Effect…” Jonathan Swift, who was clearly on to something

I've entertained a lot of what could be called fringe ideas, as in what if there were eleven dimensions, or Bigfoot, or an unseen planet orbiting our sun, but I haven't taken up arms and rushed into the fray to defend any of them, or kill or die for them. Yeah, all of Hollywood and half the population consists of flesh-eating pedophiles. Right.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

This is just a theory.
    A theory, but one that I heartily believe. The pen is definitely mightier than the sword. Whether it's a ideology, conspiracy, dogma or laundry detergent you're peddling, the right turn of phrase can capture a lot of followers, devotees or consumers. It's an interesting distinction of being human.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    What exactly does the far right want?
    They want to be in charge of the national government, and all 50 state governments, and all 50,000? county and city governments.

And the far left wants to be in charge of all that just as much as the far right does.

The job of all us people in the middle is to make sure neither left or right steers us into an iceberg or drives us off a cliff by gaining enough power to have total control. We do that by leaning a little farther left when things are moving too far to the right, and leaning a little to the right when things are moving too far to the left.

They want whatever they don't have. Really, they don't know.

Thread Information