Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For Trump Voters...

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I agree that there are many kinds of Trump voters. My DH was a Trump supporter, but he's in the "enough is enough" camp. Not all Trump supporters are right-wing extremists. DH does not regret his 2016 vote, but he respects the rule of law.
    I think you’re right. For example yesterday tradd posted that she felt trump needed to be removed by the 25th amendment. I wasn’t surprised by this since she’s definitely, like your husband, a ‘rule of law’ kind of person.

SO is Facebook friends with a couple of hardcore trump supporters that he went to high school with. They were both convinced that he was somehow going to stay in office. As recently as last week I had a spirited conversation with them on Facebook that ended after I explained how the electoral college works and they launched into gibberish that It didn’t matter and I didn’t understand what was going to happen. I guess we saw yesterday what was going to happen but it didn’t turn out the way they expected it to. Someone with that level of delusion can’t be reasoned with. But that is not what anywhere near all of the 74 million trump voters are like. There are undoubtedly many who are rational people who just have a different vision for what this country is/should be.

Personally I believe that a president encouraging seditionists is about the worst thing for the country. But I suppose other people have different priorities. Like worrying about the looting of a random cvs or something.

The idea that the left is veering dangerously toward extremism is laughable to me. I'm a Sanders/Warren adjacent Independent who could hardly be a more responsible citizen or less dangerous to anyone. I would be totally unremarkable most anywhere in Europe. If anything, what passes for "left" in America has become barely effective as the right has surged, thanks to the oligarch's big money interests and years of Fox propaganda.

Geila
    People, people. Please, I implore you to refrain from attacks and judgmental statements on this thread against Trump or those who voted for him. As I've said twice, this thread is for me to gain understanding of a different point of view than mine. If members of this community who voted for Trump are attacked before they even say anything, why would they bother? Please, let this be a space where I can hear what they have to say. Please try to keep your opinions and feelings for Trump out of the thread. There's plenty of other threads where you can voice your personal views. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    People, people. Please, I implore you to refrain from attacks and judgmental statements on this thread against Trump or those who voted for him. As I've said twice, this thread is for me to gain understanding of a different point of view than mine. If members of this community who voted for Trump are attacked before they even say anything, why would they bother? Please, let this be a space where I can hear what they have to say. Please try to keep your opinions and feelings for Trump out of the thread. There's plenty of other threads where you can voice your personal views. Please.
    I understand your frustration with the various direction(s) your OP may be taking, but most conversations tend to change and grow in various directions.

If I can make a suggestion - adjust your member settings so that anyone who would like to respond to your original request can do so privately through the site's messaging system. This way you can, hopefully, gain the information you would like and those who would like to respond - but maybe not publicly in this thread - can do so.

Good luck.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    i understand your frustration. But Geila, I think because you dont venture into political discussions on this forum you dont have an good idea of how many Trump supporters there are here. It is not enough to get much feedback.

I also value VERY MUCH the meandering nature of discussion on threads here, posts that may be tangential to the topic. I dipped into another forum last week that was downright petty in how tightly the thread police controlled it. They are very very careful there, and That isnt my vibe, wont be spending much time there.

You probably have heard from anyone you want to hear from at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    i understand your frustration. But Geila, I think because you dont venture into political discussions on this forum you dont have an good idea of how many Trump supporters there are here. It is not enough to get much feedback.

I also value VERY MUCH the meandering nature of discussion on threads here, posts that may be tangential to the topic. I dipped into another forum last week that was downright petty in how tightly the thread police controlled it. They are very very careful there, and That isnt my vibe, wont be spending much time there.

You probably have heard from anyone you want to hear from at this point.
    I agree... I appreciate the question, but to be honest, if we were talking about any other Republican candidate it would be a different discussion, or no discussion at all. To IL's point, there aren't even that many Trump supporters here, and if they are, they are probably like my husband: relatively normal Republicans who like the platform and/or the party, not the personality.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've noticed that some of the left's newest and favorite institutions are not what they appear to be. ANTIFA members are actual fascists and BLM members are avowed Marxists, self-avowed progressives use emotion rather than reason to justify their attacks on free speech and other individual rights, anyone holding different political views are routinely presented as racist, homophobic, misanthropic cretins and I believe that collectivism, in all it's forms, are bad for the country.

I also believe that any governmental entity still allowing an opening or closing prayer thinking that it's concluding 'Amen' could be followed by 'A-women' are too silly to trust with governance.
    Well I'm glad I didn't try to guess what you meant! Alan, you used many big words, most of which I don't understand. My simplemindedness is showing, and I don't use the word disparagingly. I haven't studied philosophy, economic theory or politics so most of what you are referencing is over my head and I'm sure you don't have the desire or time to illuminate me. I did look up Marxism and was confused as to how that theory/belief system applies to the BLM movement and/or Trump. Maybe you can enlighten me on just that point? Granted, most people I know who support the Black Lives Matter movement are too busy working to go to protests and none of them would be looting. And no one I know in person has ever quoted Marxism to me! So this arena of intellectual thought is new to me. I respect black lives and I respect the good work that most police officers do, but in our media it seems that to support one is to attack the other.

Your very intellectual response shows the varied personal views of Trump voters. I have 2 people I care about very much who voted for him this last election and I was shocked by it because my view of Trump and what he represents (and the fact that the Republican Party has supported him) go against everything I've always thought these two people to be. And I've known them 40 years and 36 years respectively. Yesterday, the Maslow hierarchy of needs theory came to mind and in looking at it I realized that the 2 people I know find themselves in the Basic Needs area of the pyramid and I wondered about how that might affect their views and actions because I know first hand that stress completely colors our perceptions and behaviors. But, again, this is pure speculation on my part. I have not talked to them about it because I fear I might let emotion affect my ability to listen and understand their perspective. That's why I was hoping to have a respectful dialogue here.

As to the whole Amen and Awoman thing, I say we get rid of all of it! Isn't church and state supposed to be separate? But that's another topic all together. But I agree that spending resources of any kind on something like that is foolish. There are bigger issues to worry about. I didn't even know that was a thing. But I've been annoyed when our city tries to change established street names to public figures' names.

In my poll last November almost 21% of the votes from this forum were Trump votes. I hope the other members will join in the conversation.

Geila, you do know of the Marxist origins of BLM, right? A little Googling will show you that. I would probably disagree with Alan that BLM is currently a Marxist organization because leaders have backpedaled fast and furious on supporting that ideology and economic system. Publicly anyway. Now that they are mainstream, they need to make the correct appearance in the public square.

Here is the heritage foundation’s latest opinion piece on BLM and Marxism. Heritage foundation is a respected organization on the political right of the spectrum

https://www.heritage.org/progressivi...ent-the-slogan

BLM strikes me more as opportunists cashing in if anything. The leaders and organization, not the genuine grassroots, IOW I am not saying anything about the people on the streets. Jeff Bezos supports and Amazon donates to BLM, and you think anyone believes they are going to advocate Marxism, appearances or not. Absurd. Look up the term: genetic fallacy.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Thread Information