Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For Trump Voters...

Geila

For Trump Voters...

I see there's a long thread about recent events and rather than read through the whole 12 pages and see if my question has come up, I'll just post it here.

With current events as they stand, do any of the members here who voted for Trump regret it? Or are you still glad you did and would do it again?

Caveat - I've gotten snippets of all that's going on from public radio and that's about it, so it's just a general personal question that came to me this morning on my drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    With current events as they stand, do any of the members here who voted for Trump regret it? Or are you still glad you did and would do it again?
    I think I've lost track of how many times this question has been asked on these forums over the past 4 years, although to be fair it's usually asked as a trap to belittle anyone willing to admit to their perceived malfeasance.

Since you probably won't get anyone else to fall into that trap again, I'll reiterate what I've said several times in the past. I voted for Trump in 2016 and again in 2020 because I believe the increasing radicalization of the Democratic Party is a danger to the country. My only regret is that I didn't have a viable Republican to vote for. In 2016 I had high hopes that Trump would get over his narcissistic tendencies, in 2020 I did it because I fully expected him to lose but couldn't justify a Biden vote given his pandering to the far left.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    In 2016 I had high hopes that Trump would get over his narcissistic tendencies,
    Let that be a lesson to you, Alan. People don't change, and with power, narcissism is bound to only escalate. Character in leadership DOES matter. Trump is not worthy to touch the hem of your garment, Alan. You (and the rest of us) deserve better.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

It’s becoming very difficult for me to remain friends with anyone who still supports their vote for this insurrectionist.

What will it take to recognize evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    It’s becoming very difficult for me to remain friends with anyone who still supports their vote for this insurrectionist.

What will it take to recognize evil?
    It is important to step back and recover from the deep disappointment at negative human behaviour. Gradually, you will find that there are more of your thinking than you realized at first. Also, recognize that you cannot do it alone anyway. I have learned from others with whom I have shared.

My approach has been to strive to exemplify the opposite of evil in any way that I can in my thinking and actions. That approach seems to bring the evil into the spotlight where it can be seen for what it really is by providing a contrast. What people do in response is interesting to see - resistance, attack, regret and respect. Taking that approach is my long haul trip for a lifetime and I maintain my mental health as well.
    You have the skill set and understanding and experience to know what I am talking about, Tammy. Hang in there because it is worth it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    The best way to reach Trump voters is to befriend them, not scold them. You can agree to disagree. Those who stormed the Capitol are not representative of the average Trump voter.

Geila
    My intent for this thread is to seek how Trump voters on this site feel about recent events, to see if Trump's recent behavior (well, his behavior since election night until now) and whether it has changed how they feel about their vote. There are plenty of threads in which other debates and discussion can and are happening; let's have this one be about perspectives on personal action. If the thread becomes accusatory I won't be able hear what members feel about their vote. I hope y'all will understand.

I agree that there are many kinds of Trump voters. My DH was a Trump supporter, but he's in the "enough is enough" camp. Not all Trump supporters are right-wing extremists. DH does not regret his 2016 vote, but he respects the rule of law.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I voted for Trump in 2016 and again in 2020 because I believe the increasing radicalization of the Democratic Party is a danger to the country. My only regret is that I didn't have a viable Republican to vote for. In 2016 I had high hopes that Trump would get over his narcissistic tendencies, in 2020 I did it because I fully expected him to lose but couldn't justify a Biden vote given his pandering to the far left.
    Alan - thank you for your response. When you say "...I believe the increasing radicalization of the Democratic Party is a danger to the country." What does that mean for you? I don't want to guess as I'd likely get it wrong and since I don't know what it means maybe you can explain it to me, maybe provide an example? There is no sarcasm or malice intended in my questions, I sincerely want to know your thoughts and feelings about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Alan - thank you for your response. When you say "...I believe the increasing radicalization of the Democratic Party is a danger to the country." What does that mean for you? I don't want to guess as I'd likely get it wrong and since I don't know what it means maybe you can explain it to me, maybe provide an example? There is no sarcasm or malice intended in my questions, I sincerely want to know your thoughts and feelings about it.
    I've noticed that some of the left's newest and favorite institutions are not what they appear to be. ANTIFA members are actual fascists and BLM members are avowed Marxists, self-avowed progressives use emotion rather than reason to justify their attacks on free speech and other individual rights, anyone holding different political views are routinely presented as racist, homophobic, misanthropic cretins and I believe that collectivism, in all it's forms, are bad for the country.

I also believe that any governmental entity still allowing an opening or closing prayer thinking that it's concluding 'Amen' could be followed by 'A-women' are too silly to trust with governance.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information