Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: For Trump Voters...

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    Your very intellectual response shows the varied personal views of Trump voters. I have 2 people I care about very much who voted for him this last election and I was shocked by it because my view of Trump and what he represents (and the fact that the Republican Party has supported him) go against everything I've always thought these two people to be. And I've known them 40 years and 36 years respectively. Yesterday, the Maslow hierarchy of needs theory came to mind and in looking at it I realized that the 2 people I know find themselves in the Basic Needs area of the pyramid and I wondered about how that might affect their views and actions because I know first hand that stress completely colors our perceptions and behaviors. .
    Interesting perspective on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and the Trump supporters. Something to think about.

My cousin and his wife are two of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. She, in particular, is an evangelical Christian and a Trump supporter. During the election cycle she would post strange memes about "The truth will come out" (Strange, because Trump is decidedly not a paragon of truth). She might represent another segment of Trump voters. She has all her basic needs met, and she and my cousin are talented and smart. Yet, yesterday, she posted a video on our family group page on FB of a Trumpster claiming that 3 busses lined up in Washington were Antifa members brought in by no other than the Secret Service.

I can understand how it's impossible to completely trust the government. I don't want to know all the shady dealings that go on in Washington. But to trust Trump OVER the government is something I don't really understand.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Geila, you do know of the Marxist origins of BLM, right? A little Googling will show you that. I would probably disagree with Alan that BLM is currently a Marxist organization because leaders have backpedaled fast and furious on supporting that ideology and economic system. Publicly anyway. Now that they are mainstream, they need to make the correct appearance in the public square.

Here is the heritage foundation’s latest opinion piece on BLM and Marxism. Heritage foundation is a respected organization on the political right of the spectrum

https://www.heritage.org/progressivi...ent-the-slogan
    I had no idea. Am I the only one who's been in the dark?

Geila
    To clarify, I meant that if a person has not been able to meet all of their basic needs with the "old system" of government, I could understand them wanting a new system in the chance that it might help them provide for themselves and their families. And that the opportunity of an improvement in quality of life could negate a lot of other factors that would normally be unacceptable or undesirable. I felt that my comment made it seem like being in the lower hierarchy and the stress that induces made a person less intelligent or moral and that is not my intent nor my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I had no idea. Am I the only one who's been in the dark?
    Does that really matter though? If the label “Marxist” or “former Marxist” disturbs you, then you might want to look further into to any support you may be giving to BLM.

For me “”Marxist” doesnt disturb me and doesn’t cause me to delve into BLM goals and activities because I don’t support them anyway, so it just doesn’t matter to me. Also “Marxist” from my youth conjures up a whole lot of Jerry Rubins and Abby Hoffmans, those flamboyant bad boys. Due to them I am probably predisposed to look a bit kindly toward that crowd. I don’t take it as seriously as others.

YMMV

BLM has scrubbed their website of pretty much all the manifesto stuff from the early days. It looks like now it’s pretty much press releases and merch sales now.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Does that really matter though? If the label “Marxist” or “former Marxist” disturbs you, then you might want to look further into to any support you may be giving to BLM.

For me “”Marxist” doesnt disturb me and doesn’t cause me to delve into BLM goals and activities because I don’t support them anyway, so it just doesn’t matter to me. Also “Marxist” from my youth conjures up a whole lot of Jerry Rubins and Abby Hoffmans, those flamboyant bad boys. Due to them I am probably predisposed to look a bit kindly toward that crowd. I don’t take it as seriously as others.

YMMV
    I don't understand Marxism and how that would/wouldn't affect BLM or Trump support. What I meant is that I had no idea that there was some sort of alleged secret political agenda in the movement. I thought it was all about helping Black Americans not get killed. I thought that was the core function and the agenda and had not heard otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    BLM has scrubbed their website of pretty much all the manifesto stuff from the early days. It looks like now it’s pretty much press releases and merch sales now.
    I’m sure there are many small obscure organizations around our country that are Marxist organizations. As long as no one pays attention to them they can openly express views like that.

But if they want people like my neighbors who proudly display their Black Lives Matter signs to sign on and give them money* they need to back down on that shit. Which they did of course.

What is now in their hearts and minds it’s hard to discern.

* oh yeah, the money. That’s what counts.

If there was any such agenda there could not possibly be now given who they seem to be getting money from (huge entities like Amazon, Dem party entities and this is not Marxist by any shared vocabulary etc. - I realize some like their whole alternative political science universe where words mean whatever they want them to mean and Nancy Pelosi is a Marxist, yea but words have no meaning then).

Besides what does the term movement even mean? Does one really think most people protesting do so after being part of some formal BLM organization? I don't think that is so.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    relatively normal Republicans who like the platform ...
    Platform? They didn't have a platform this year. Simply a loyalty oath.

https://www.businessinsider.com/gop-...support-2020-8

People like to throw "Marxist" and "communist" around to weaponize language and shut down anyone who dares to question the status quo, IMO. I doubt there are enough actual Marxists/communists in this country to fill a janitor's closet. Collective bargaining and voting rights organizations are likely considered communistic by such people. As well as human rights in general.

Thread Information